Spark Plugs: Nickle vs Others

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alberta Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Others being Iridium or Platinum.
AC Delco R44LTSM is the old school stuff. Almost exactly what I run in my hot rod small block Chevy.
That said, while this plug IS available and spec'd for the 2003 Tahoe 5.3L (LM7) so too are the NGKs, ( It seems all of the relevant part numbers are now superceded by 41-110). There are also offerings from Bosch, Denso, et al.
The question here is, other than the longevity that the platinum or iridium provide, what's the difference? I fully expect that this particular engine won't see another 50 thousand miles. I'm chasing a random misfire and I suspect the current plugs have been in there twice as long as they should have been. The far less expensive nickle plug (at about a 70% discount) seems a fair choice if that longevity isn't taken into account.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Alberta Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this supplier is using the word nickle even though it is a conventional copper plug (which would be nickle plated copper). Funny, back in the day we never distinguished plugs other than brand (and spec).
And the longevity thing is the deal breaker here. 20k might be beyond the lifespan of this heap. At least in my hands anyway.

Plug.jpg

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your “copper” plugs are typically nickel plated. They run cooler and don’t last as long.

You Platinum and Iridium run hotter and can burn deposits off better to prevent fouling of the plug.

OP
OP
A

Alberta Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kind of what I was thinking. It's all about lifespan. Although the ability to run cleaner does have it's advantages outside of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal