Sound System silent when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ueww40

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Tahoe with a 6-CD OEM radio which worked fine all summer. Now that temps are going down to near freezing all of a sudden the entire sound system is dead when I start out in the morning, not a peep. The system is Bose and I don't think it is the radio, because it has power and everything seems to work like normal including the CD player but there is no sound. No FM, no AM, no CD, no nothing. After 2 or 3 hours of driving with the heater on and the car is nice and cozy all of a sudden the sound comes on loud and clear and everything is fine from then on until the next day. I suspect that there may be some corrosion or something like it with some of the Bose amplifier connections which I would like to check but I don't know where GM put that amplifier. Does anybody have any suggestions what could cause this and where the Bose box is?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Bose amp is under the center console. Unscrew and pull out the console box and the connections are visible there. Removing it is another matter, but you can see the connections.

To verify that it's the amp or a connection around there, after it's exposed (and it's cold) you could use a blow dryer to warm it up to see if it comes on faster.

My first wife got cold from time to time but she was never silent. :(

sleighparker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Tahoe with a 6-CD OEM radio which worked fine all summer. Now that temps are going down to near freezing all of a sudden the entire sound system is dead when I start out in the morning, not a peep. The system is Bose and I don't think it is the radio, because it has power and everything seems to work like normal including the CD player but there is no sound. No FM, no AM, no CD, no nothing. After 2 or 3 hours of driving with the heater on and the car is nice and cozy all of a sudden the sound comes on loud and clear and everything is fine from then on until the next day. I suspect that there may be some corrosion or something like it with some of the Bose amplifier connections which I would like to check but I don't know where GM put that amplifier. Does anybody have any suggestions what could cause this and where the Bose box is?
I would love to know the answer to this problem, which I have been battling for a few years. Used to be just in cold weather. Now the sound is off for first 20 min of driving — then cranks on and makes me jump every time!

I tried replacing every fuse I could find (which did solve my aux power outlet problem). Got a new amp and pulled apart console to replace - no luck. Checked the pink and orange power wires coming from head unit - these light up fine. The head unit def works, and when the sound finally comes on I’m pretty sure both front speakers are working fine.

I’ve learned a lot thru YouTube videos, but I’d really like to nail this down. Only 120k miles on my 2003 Yukon and I love it for everything else!

29tomt

Reaction score
2003 Tahoe. Same problem. Replaced amp. Did not fix the problem. Fuses ok.

RustyTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
please help im on my second radio since it has got cold and still nothing

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If electronic is not working when it's cold but works when it's get warm it's mostly two issues where this can come from.

Either you have a cold solder joint (I hope this term is also used in the USA. That's what we call it in Germany), i.e. a solder joint where the solder has broken due to the constant temperature changes over the years, or a defective capacitor. Capacitors are small electronic components that work like small batteries and work electrochemically.

These tend to fail after a while.

The first problem, of course, is finding the device that is causing the problem. That could of course be the radio. If the output stage does not send any signals to the amplifier there, then of course there is no sound. It can of course also be the amplifier, possibly also cable connections in between, which is not so likely.

Finding the device that causes the problem is difficult, of course, and you have to take a used device and exchange it for it.

Maybe find someone who drives the same car and swap the devices as a test.

Once you have found the device, an electronics technician can usually repair the device. A mechanic with electronic experience can see defective capacitors, which you can usually tell are broken and you can also see cold solder joints.

Capacitors can be soldered in new ones and cold solder joints can be resoldered.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the theory for no sound in cold temps possibly being loose solder joints on component board.

If it can be determined that the head unit is the problem, it would be easier to find a replacement rather than pay shop labor for a technician to troubleshoot.

I used to see electronics/computer/television repair shops in almost every community around. Now... I don't know of a single one.

Even if 100% originality was the goal, another used factory head unit would probably still be cheaper than trying to fix a broken one.

Almost everything is disposable these days.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the theory for no sound in cold temps possibly being loose solder joints on component board.

If it can be determined that the head unit is the problem, it would be easier to find a replacement rather than pay shop labor for a technician to troubleshoot.

I used to see electronics/computer/television repair shops in almost every community around. Now... I don't know of a single one.

Even if 100% originality was the goal, another used factory head unit would probably still be cheaper than trying to fix a broken one.

Almost everything is disposable these days.
Yes you are right, same in Germany.

But the view is modern that it is good for environment, that government make stronger rules for everything, meanwhile product cycles getting shorter and shorter. And nothing is made for fixing anymore. All a big joke...

I always rather look for old stuff to repair than to buy new. My compressor in my garage is from 1971 and it will run when i am long gone. My two car lifts are from 1980, they are bulletproof reliable, because the German engineer who made the construction, calculated that 3,5 tons + 10% Safety must use 8mm steel, so they took 12mm.

Today china engineer do a construction, calculates that 3,5 tons must use 7.6 mm Steel, so they take 7mm because 10% guaranty cases are in the calculation included.

But back to topic. If there are enough used units on he market and you get one for small money, its better to take a used one. If not, you can try to fix yourself. Solding is not a big problem and everybody can see defective capacitors which to exchange is not rocket science.

OP
OP
ueww40

ueww40

Reaction score
Interesting all the replies and I know what my next move will be, but I have not yet worked up the enthusiasm to take out the front seats and remove the center console but I do have a spare radio (which has a different unrelated problem) which I will use for testing first. That should at least isolate the problem to either the bose box or the radio.

Jon W

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have the same problem when its cold outside no sound! I pulled out the on star chime amp behind my head unit wiggled the wires and kept messing with it and the sound came on. Hoping this is the problem and I will update after a replacement is installed.

Attachments

• 20230126_161435.jpg
    20230126_161435.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonawhie61989