Someone stole gas from me and now my engine runs weird?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go into fuel system data.
You should see things like fuel pressure commanded, and actual.
they should be close.

Other things in there also, but it has been a while since i fkd around in the fuel system info stuff.
2007s can't see fuel system data. They don't have a FPCM, it was still controlled by the ECM. Have to check with a manual gauge off the rail.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@swathdiver Do 2008 Tahoes have a FPCM?

@Fless Very interesting about the screen between the filler tube and the tank, might be worth taking a peak on mine and see if it has it but I am not sure what that would change anything. I imagine if something went down the filler neck and got caught in the screen that would only affect filling and not the running of the engine.

Curious, I have a black bear tune and live in a climate that has extreme colds and hot seasons. If I had it tuned in winter would the high temps of summer throw the tune off or something?

stevedonato

Reaction score
I would suggest maybe someone does not like you? Did you have any heated disagreements with someone lately? More than likely someone poured something into your tank wanting to get back at you for something? Especially as noted already, newer vehicles cannot be siphoned. Jog your memory and re-think about any negative encounters you might have had lately. If you can afford it, maybe you can have the tank countenance analyzed to determine the damaging ingredient.

Joeltz

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen, in the middle of the night on the 4th of July someone stole gas from my Tahoe while it was parked in my driveway. I went to leave for work the next day and discovered my gas cap on my rear tire.

I put the gas cap back on the Tahoe and drove to work. On my way home from work I filled up with 91 at my usual gas station, but ever since then the motor has idled a little rough and on the freeway my Tahoe has a little shimmy like an unbalanced tire or slight misfire.

I just redid my front brakes the day before my gas was stolen so I am going pull my front tires back off and inspect all mating surfaces but I have this paranoid/OCD feeling in the back of my mind that the stealing of the gas caused something to happen with either the EVAP system or they got dirt in my tank. OR the gas station just switched to summer fuel here in California. Either way my motor isn't running as smoothly as it did a few weeks ago.

Today I filled up another tank of gas and the Tahoe had a very notable rough idle immediately after starting it from filling it with gas.

Along with having my property violated! My Tahoe isn't running as well as it used to and I want to see if there is anything I can check on, I am hoping these are just the early stages of a EVAP failure. I have had a history of not being able to fill up the gas tank in one go, the pump always clicks so I have to hold the nozzle at a special angle to get to a full tank.

Lesson learned, locking my Tahoe every night and installing security camera.

Anything you guys can think of or am I just paranoid?

This is how I found my tahoe:
View attachment 404195
One Time at Sebring 12 hour race my friend on my 250 Maico square barrel jumped over a log, that turned out to be a guy in his sleeping bag. He came back from the midway and at Sunup I must have kicked the kickstart lever 100 times. Went home and after checking everything, I saw water in the glass jar I put gas in.
It had not rained we decided that the Guy he Jumped put either a New or Used Beer in the tank. Try replacing the filter bolted to the frame below driver seat

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One Time at Sebring 12 hour race my friend on my 250 Maico square barrel jumped over a log, that turned out to be a guy in his sleeping bag. He came back from the midway and at Sunup I must have kicked the kickstart lever 100 times. Went home and after checking everything, I saw water in the glass jar I put gas in.
It had not rained we decided that the Guy he Jumped put either a New or Used Beer in the tank. Try replacing the filter bolted to the frame below driver seat
that filter has not been on any gm suv since around 2003/2004, so twenty years ago.......
probably just needs to do what I already suggested....

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suggest maybe someone does not like you? Did you have any heated disagreements with someone lately? More than likely someone poured something into your tank wanting to get back at you for something? Especially as noted already, newer vehicles cannot be siphoned. Jog your memory and re-think about any negative encounters you might have had lately. If you can afford it, maybe you can have the tank countenance analyzed to determine the damaging ingredient.
@stevedonato The thing about someone disliking me is that is can happen without my awareness, maybe I cut someone off on the road and I didn't realize it OR maybe they didn't appreciate me taking my 94 straight piped 350 k1500 to watch the fireworks on the night of the 4th of July but I think it's more likely that someone didn't realize they couldn't siphon gas from this truck. If this was a disgruntled person there were multiple other ways they could have damaged my property but I think it's the tweaker across the street trying to get gas for his motorcycle.

Either way like @03catburban said we are about 3 tanks of gas into the situation so the damage, if there was any, is already done.

I appreciate your concern for me but this isn't something I want to lose sleep over anymore, I am more concerned that I can't get my brakes bled properly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo