Skid Plate Options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jroby42

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you know if all of the bolts are already present for the 2 front skid plates or if more will need to be purchased? I did some research on the rear plate for the transfer case and found a set of 4 aftermarket bolts with the correct part number for around $20 on eBay. I am not sure if these are the same bolts for the front skid plates or not.
You will need 2 more bolts for the 2 fronts and 4 for the transfer case. I bought those 4 off ebay and they are same as oem. One thing I did was use my oem bolt to tap those 4 plus the other 2 holes on the frame and then installed the plates.

Jroby42

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think I'll get a 10mm tap and some hardware store bolts and send the $20 4-pack bolts back!
Don't need a tap, use an oem bolt to set the threads. I used those 4 bolts off ebay and they fit perfect. As mentioned, do not overtighten, use handtools.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could pull one of bolts in plastic cover take to hardware I think you will find they are 8mm that way if you strip threads you can go to 10mm.Good luck
According to the gm-trucks.com forum post the bolts are M10x1.5 and 25mm length (approximately 1".) I just got back from Home Depot and Lowes. Home Depot doesn't appear to sell taps separately and they only had quantity of 2 bolts in stock, a store associate said they only receive them in quantities of 5. So I went to Lowes and got all of the 8 bolts of this size that they had in stock, and they sell a tap and drill bit combo. My total for 8 bolts and the tap was less than those eBay bolts, which I'll be returning if everything goes to plan. I also have a surplus of washers so I'll find the correct size in my stash at a later date.20221208_125141[1].jpg

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to the gm-trucks.com forum post the bolts are M10x1.5 and 25mm length (approximately 1".) I just got back from Home Depot and Lowes. Home Depot doesn't appear to sell taps separately and they only had quantity of 2 bolts in stock, a store associate said they only receive them in quantities of 5. So I went to Lowes and got all of the 8 bolts of this size that they had in stock, and they sell a tap and drill bit combo. My total for 8 bolts and the tap was less than those eBay bolts, which I'll be returning if everything goes to plan. I also have a surplus of washers so I'll find the correct size in my stash at a later date.View attachment 387004
In this link on amazon is where I got my information in the questions and answers for size of bolt. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QIPAQA/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=AIW3UMXJ6AWAX&psc=1

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In this link on amazon is where I got my information in the questions and answers for size of bolt. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QIPAQA/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=AIW3UMXJ6AWAX&psc=1
I'll confirm when pulling the bolts out of the front skid. I assume that the transfer case skid should use the same bolts. I did confirm the bolt that you showed at Lowes is the largest size they have in that pointed tip variety, I believe they call them fender bolts.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have all 3 skid plates and should be installing them one of these next few evenings. Obviously the front plates being aluminum can be expected to be lightweight, but they are surprisingly lightweight. I could imagine that the transfer case skit, being maybe 1/6 the size of the 2 front skid plates, is perhaps similar in weight to one of the 2 aluminum skid plates.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installation was straight forward, nothing unexpected. The front plastic shield plate is held on with 6 bolts. There are 4 more smaller bolts that don't need to be removed as they hold two metal reinforcing brackets to the plastic shield.

Additionally, the 10mm bolts (M10X1.5X25, M10 = 10mm, 1.5 = thread pitch, 25mm = length) I bought are in fact correct. 8mm is way too small and will not work. I also didn't end up using the tap I bought so that can get returned to the store as well. I simply used one of the 6 OEM bolts to tap the 6 holes that need to be tapped. There's only 2 holes in the front crossmember that need to be tapped, and of course the 4 holes in the transmission crossmember. I used the 8 matching bolts from Lowes for the front 2 aluminum skid plates and used 4 of the 6 OEM bolts to secure the steel transfer case skid plate, with 2 left over as spares. No problems to report!

This ended up costing a lot less than I expected, thanks to the advertising by the original thread creator. Much appreciated!

2 years ago I added front tow hooks. With the exception of the badging, 2 speed transfer case, and suspension, I believe I've added most of the useful Z71 accessories to my Yukon SLT.

Attachments

• 20221213_153012.jpg
    20221213_153012.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20221213_152941.jpg
    20221213_152941.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20221213_155723.jpg
    20221213_155723.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for reply, so much for description from amazon on bolt size I will be taking back bolts I bought from Lowes and getting 10mm bolts, Looks good.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for reply, so much for description from amazon on bolt size I will be taking back bolts I bought from Lowes and getting 10mm bolts, Looks good.
I believe the Amazon Q and A is not necessarily from the seller, or if it is they may be misinformed as well. If you don't have a washer stash I'd recommend buying washers too, the factory bolts have a washer that is approximately 1" in outer diameter.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question.

You see here in these two diagrams, part #14 is the plastic skid plate, and parts #15 are two reinforcement brackets that the plastic skid plate bolts to. I wasn't supposed to leave these installed before installing the aluminum skid plates was I? I don't think I was, but I just noticed that the metal reinforcements for the plastic skid plate have a different part number or part numbers.

Attachments

• s-l1600[1].jpg
    s-l1600[1].jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 7
  • s-l1600[1].jpg
    s-l1600[1].jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 7
  • s-l1600[1].jpg
    s-l1600[1].jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 7

Forum statistics

Threads