Shopping Now - What Would You Buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snaphappy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Background: this is for my wife. She wants a Suburban, ESV or XL. I'm a DIY guy and can do most jobs myself. I typically buy something used, do a bunch of preventive maintenance, then enjoy it.

I have $16k, but I'd prefer to spend $10-$12k so I have plenty left over for repairs/cosmetics.

I expect to purchase something with over 150k miles.

I'm not afraid of transmission rebuild. I have a savings for that.

I am however, very concerned about AFM, because it's not something I know a lot about.

I've been told I can avoid the entire AFM problem by purchasing a 6.2L... but is it true that the 6.2 is ONLY available in the Denali and Escalade?

Would I be perfectly safe buying a 5.3L and spending $1500 on an AFM delete? Or is it significantly safer to buy a 6.2L right from the start.

If you were in my position, what would you buy? Should I skip this generation entirely and put $10k down on a much newer truck, say something that costs $20k?

Thanks!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sounds like a NBS is in your future. At least in Oregon there are several around, Suburbans, and can find with around 150k to 175k miles. Also, no rust. I have my 2002 Tahoe and thought I wanted something newer. Looked looked looked and decided that I was happy with my 2002. The 5.3 engine I have is at 160k and runs like a top and I have no AFM. Like you are thinking I have been making some changes. Magna Flow exhaust, Corvette servo for the trans, repaired the drivers seat leather, new front chrome section of the bumper, both axles and transfer case maint services, trans service and flush, brake fluid flush, driver's door hinge pins, oil cooler block off plate and seal replacement....etc. Future, Black Bear Tune when I drive to their business in Idaho.

Someone here posted the RPO code to look for to keep away from if you don't want AFM. They are, LY5, LC9, LH6, LMG and LS4. I had $20k cash to spend but then I just kept finding problems with seat comfort, shoulder room and just an overall dislike of the body styles. I have my eyes on a 2003 Suburban with less than 100k miles on it and the husband would sell but the wife absolutely loves that vehicle. The phrase, "Keys from her cold dead hands" came up in our conversation. She is a tenant at my self storage facility so I see her and I am going to start waving cash in front of her to see what happens. Bet she says, "Not a chance".

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Sounds like a NBS is in your future. At least in Oregon there are several around, Suburbans, and can find with around 150k to 175k miles. Also, no rust. I have my 2002 Tahoe and thought I wanted something newer. Looked looked looked and decided that I was happy with my 2002. The 5.3 engine I have is at 160k and runs like a top and I have no AFM. Like you are thinking I have been making some changes. Magna Flow exhaust, Corvette servo for the trans, repaired the drivers seat leather, new front chrome section of the bumper, both axles and transfer case maint services, trans service and flush, brake fluid flush, driver's door hinge pins, oil cooler block off plate and seal replacement....etc. Future, Black Bear Tune when I drive to their business in Idaho.

Someone here posted the RPO code to look for to keep away from if you don't want AFM. They are, LY5, LC9, LH6, LMG and LS4. I had $20k cash to spend but then I just kept finding problems with seat comfort, shoulder room and just an overall dislike of the body styles. I have my eyes on a 2003 Suburban with less than 100k miles on it and the husband would sell but the wife absolutely loves that vehicle. The phrase, "Keys from her cold dead hands" came up in our conversation. She is a tenant at my self storage facility so I see her and I am going to start waving cash in front of her to see what happens. Bet she says, "Not a chance".

Welcome to the forum.

LMG is an iron block flex fuel 5.3l WITH AFM... just FYI

The 6.2L was mainly available in the Escalade and Denali.

2500 Suburbans came with the iron block 6.0l but I doubt your wife wants to be beaten up by 3/4 ton suspension so that's probably a no go. They do make great tow rigs however if you have a need for that.

There were a few 6.2l Tahoes but they are pretty rare and don't fit your criteria of Suburban, ESV, XL since they are the short body.

I also believe there were some 6.0l Suburbans that were 1/2 ton as well but I can't remember the details.

Not all 6.2l come without AFM... only the '07/'08s if my memory servers me.

Some had the AFM hardware (lifters,cam,etc.) in the engine but it wasn't activated in the tune in the ECM.

James @swathdiver can give you all the facts as he has researched it and is our go to guy on this subject around here.

OP
OP
S

snaphappy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Should I avoid AFM like the plague? Or just go with it? After doing a ton of research today I realized we're limited to 09 and older. That's not gonna make the wife so happy.

So let me know, is AFM that bad? How do you guys deal with it? A car that's AFM for 150k miles needs significant engine work right?

kbuskill

Reaction score
Should I avoid AFM like the plague? Or just go with it? After doing a ton of research today I realized we're limited to 09 and older. That's not gonna make the wife so happy.

So let me know, is AFM that bad? How do you guys deal with it? A car that's AFM for 150k miles needs significant engine work right?

Not necessarily. I bought my '08 Burb LTZ with 154k miles on it. It has the LMG 5.3l WITH AFM.

It now has 245k miles on it and I have never replaced anything on it as far as AFM parts.

How the vehicle was maintained is very important.

Dirty sludged up oil kills the AFM.

Clean oil and frequent changes keep the AFM going usually.

I did program the AFM out of my ECM so it stays in V8 mode all the time, this also helps as the AFM lifters are not constantly unlocking and locking.

An AFM/DOD delete is the only 100% positive way to never have any issues and it's not that difficult to do if you can turn a wrench. It's also not terribly expensive in the grand scheme of things.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you are fretting over nothing, just get the newest one you can with what you have to spend, then maintenance it and carry on, yes SOME afm problems can happen but on the grander scale it's not all that common. If afm issue's were that much of a problem it would have been done away with years ago. you can disable afm easily with a used canned tuner for less than $200 they are all over ebay.

what would I buy? something at least 2010 or newer 2010-2014
what did I buy? a 2012 yukon xl Denali, Love it :love62::driver:

kbuskill

Reaction score
I'm with Wes.

'09 and up gives you the 6 speed transmission and the option for air conditioned seats.

'07-'08 Escalade/Denail had the 6 speed and air conditioned seats as well if I recall.

6.2l is fun but if your wife has a heavy foot it will just mean higher fuel bills as they require premium and are pretty thirsty.

Da90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned a 07, 08, 09 and a 11. Out of the model years I have had there is a big difference between a 2007 and 2014. My wife’s 2009 suburban was the one I had to work on the most. It consumed about 1 quart per 1k miles when I first bought it. I was able to slow it down slightly. If funds allow for it get a 2011 or newer. You will get a much nicer vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have owned a 07, 08, 09 and a 11. Out of the model years I have had there is a big difference between a 2007 and 2014. My wife’s 2009 suburban was the one I had to work on the most. It consumed about 1 quart per 1k miles when I first bought it. I was able to slow it down slightly. If funds allow for it get a 2011 or newer. You will get a much nicer vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have had a ‘07, ‘08 & now ‘13 Denali XL and a ‘09 Suburban LTZ. My wife loved the ‘07 and the ‘13 we have now. Our ‘08 was problematic with a bunch of little annoying issues. The ‘09 Suburban with the 5.3L was sluggish compared to the 6.2L and my wife hated it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should I avoid AFM like the plague?

No. AFM was significantly upgraded in 2011 making it much more reliable. If the vehicle you buy has 150K on it, chances are it already has all the new parts. You'll have to learn how to tell and it's not a big deal to upgrade most of the parts yourself. A tune to disable the system will make the truck more enjoyable to drive (especially improved transmission settings) and prolong the life of the AFM components.

2009 was the first year for the 6-speed transmission for those equipped with 5.3 engines. All 2007 Denalis are AWD, after that they come in RWD too. 2009 Denalis have the L9H 6.2 engine, no AFM. 2007-2008 L92s don't have it either. 4x4s with 3.08 gears (GU4) have single speed transfer case.

2009 Denalis and LTZs had Side Blind Zone Alert and Cooled Seats. In 2010 those options were available on the next trim level down, SLT and maybe some Chevy LTs. The later years have more electronic and software improvements like Hill Start Assist and Trailer Sway Control. I love my Integrated Trailer Brake Controller (JL1) and 2-Speed Transfer case (NQH).

Hubs = 100K
Ball Joints = 150K
AFM = 100K
Oil Pump O-ring = 165K
Transmission Overhaul = 165K

Those are not absolutes, just averages gleaned from these pages.

If you take your time and are interested there's a cool unicorn out there. It's the 2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT with the L9H 6.2 engine and can be a true 4x4 or RWD. Both versions come with 9.5, 14-bolt semi-floating rear axle (AXN). I've identified less than 50 so far.

All Denalis has 3.42 gears (GU6). All with 2-speed transfer case have them as well.

K5L is HD Cooling Package. Includes larger radiator, 700 watt fan motors, external transmission oil cooler, (KNP) radiator mounted engine oil cooler (KC4).

Inside the glove box is the RPO sheet with all the codes/options that vehicle was built with. I am set on what we want and ask the dealers to send me a picture or pay a service called CompNine to decode the VINs for me.

Where do you live?

Welcome to TYF and Happy Hunting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues