Service Safety Restraint system - need permanent fix please!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trh913

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2021 chevy suburban
Already have this safety restraint system error coming up and I just purchased this new vehicle in July (2021) I have read a bunch of other threads where people had wires re-taped, or steering wheel spring replaced, and etc but no one has ever confirmed if they actually lasted, seems most said the error came back.
Anyone have any luck with getting this error to go away and stay away??

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t encountered that yet have have seen complaints on here and the NHTSA website.

Have you tried taking it to huge dealer at all? Curious if they were able to pull up any set codes showing the condition.

OP
OP
T

Trh913

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I haven’t encountered that yet have have seen complaints on here and the NHTSA website.

Have you tried taking it to huge dealer at all? Curious if they were able to pull up any set codes showing the condition.
I haven’t taken it to any dearer yet. Been holding off in hopes to find an answer first so I could tell them what I wanted done. I don’t feel like taking this back a bunch of times.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has there been any further word on a definitive dealer fix for this? Am starting to see it intermittently. If the red-light indicator is on, does it mean there is no safety system in effect at all?
Not sure how serious to take this....

OP
OP
T

Trh913

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I took mine to the dealership and they had to do a system update and my husband did fix the wires under the seat so they wouldn’t “come undone/move” if I moved the seat. So far that did the trick!!!
When you say “red light” is that the red light for onstar or the safety restraint red symbol?

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Safety restraint symbol. So far it’s been intermittent but I’m not willing to take it in unless they are 100% confident they kno what’s happening and can fix it quickly. I can’t be without a vehicle for days while they figure it out….

OP
OP
T

Trh913

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would look into adjusting the wires yourself and making sure they have enough length and the connections are all solid! Then I would schedule for a system update, shouldn’t take more than an hour. I was told I could wait if I wanted when I took mine in, I choose to drop off night before and pick up next day at my lunch break.

robhotdog

Reaction score
2021 chevy suburban
Already have this safety restraint system error coming up and I just purchased this new vehicle in July (2021) I have read a bunch of other threads where people had wires re-taped, or steering wheel spring replaced, and etc but no one has ever confirmed if they actually lasted, seems most said the error came back.
Anyone have any luck with getting this error to go away and stay away??
As a retired GM tech I can tell you DONT mess with the SIR system..If you have warning lights on or off there will be fault codes for the Trained Tech to start diagnostics. Sometimes it could be a loose connection causing resistance readings to fluctuate. It could also be a system update needed. Your truck is covered by a Factory warranty. These guys dont throw parts or guess at what's going on. The worse case scenario is clearing system and unable to duplicate. The reason no parts are Thrown at it is mainly Lemmon laws. 3 attempts at the Same problem can lead to buybacks. Please work with your service department and give them as much info as possible...When..Where..How ect. Most dealers have rent cars available at no cost if they need it a couple of days. Please know these modern vehicles are very complex electrically. As the instructor told us Years ago..The air bag system is fool proof. NOT STUPID PROOF! Go to a larger dealer that has an established Talent Pool. They will take care of it. Good Luck

Saucy22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 22 Tahoe RST has had this issue regularly and started happening around 6,000 miles mark. I brought it in and first time they said they did a system update (I was also having the remote start issue that would kill the car). Within 2 days the safety restraint light came back on. I bought it back today and they called to tell me it's ready and this is what the issue seems to have been....on the driver side the safety harness runs through the seat and if you adjust the seat forward back, shift or anything, the harness pulls on the harness wiring connector. They told me there is actually a service bulletin about this, and the fix they did for me is to reroute it and hold with velcro, per the bulletin instructions. Will let you know if this does not work, but at least I now know the source of the issue.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 22 Tahoe RST has had this issue regularly and started happening around 6,000 miles mark. I brought it in and first time they said they did a system update (I was also having the remote start issue that would kill the car). Within 2 days the safety restraint light came back on. I bought it back today and they called to tell me it's ready and this is what the issue seems to have been....on the driver side the safety harness runs through the seat and if you adjust the seat forward back, shift or anything, the harness pulls on the harness wiring connector. They told me there is actually a service bulletin about this, and the fix they did for me is to reroute it and hold with velcro, per the bulletin instructions. Will let you know if this does not work, but at least I now know the source of the issue.
Any chance they gave you the TSB number?

This one seems like it may be destined for a recall...potential wear on the wiring harness (esp since on vehicles w/ memory seats, one of the options is to have the seat automatically retreat to a preset exit position on every key off, and then re-adjust to a preset driving position on every entry). We will see, I suppose. Glad they found it!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts