Service Safety Restraint system - need permanent fix please!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer had the TSB but did nothing with the wiring. Was told by GM that it was a bad overhead console. Took 2 weeks to replace it, but the problem came back 2 weeks later. Started a tech case with GM but never heard back and it hasn't come back in the last 3-4 weeks. Fingers crossed....

Reaction score
Mine started when my 15 y/o got his learners and started moving the seat. Today the dealer repositioned the sensor so hopefully that is the permanent fix. I found that I could move my seat around and find somewhere where it would stop alarming and saved the seat setting until the fix today.

swildman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We have a 2022 Tahoe and the Service Restraint System message came on. Took it to a “large” dealer, they said nothing to do with seats/wires but that its definitely only the passenger airbag that might or might not work and that “Chevrolet currently has not provided a fix” for it. Said its a known issue and they are waiting on directive from Chevy. I said doesnt sound safe to drive if airbags working is a crap shoot-they had no suggestions other than check back periodically. Can you spell Corporate L-I-A-B-I-L-I-T-Y? They said the liability is on me if we continue to drive it. ETA on fix I asked? No ETA. So we are just supposed to park a 2022 vehicle until an undetermined date when Chevy can get this figured out? Keep checking back. Chevrolet is going down hill fast with their customer service. Need help Chevrolet!!

Last edited:

ChrisG

Reaction score
This is the ******** that drives me nuts, I’m having this error and ready to dump my 2022 and buy another brand. I’ve never been so disappointed in 70k.
Almost done w GM, ITS ALL IVE EVER OWNED but pretty po’d

TheAgency

Reaction score
I've had the same message come on a handful of times. It's some sort of system logic-based error in most cases. The fix is the best part: cycle your overhead map lights on/off, both of them, and it will go away.

The Germans have dealt with these issues for years. More complex systems = more gremlins.

Rolande

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We have a 2022 Tahoe and the Service Restraint System message came on. Took it to a “large” dealer, they said nothing to do with seats/wires but that its definitely only the passenger airbag that might or might not work and that “Chevrolet currently has not provided a fix” for it. Said its a known issue and they are waiting on directive from Chevy. I said doesnt sound safe to drive if airbags working is a crap shoot-they had no suggestions other than check back periodically. Can you spell Corporate L-I-A-B-I-L-I-T-Y? They said the liability is on me if we continue to drive it. ETA on fix I asked? No ETA. So we are just supposed to park a 2022 vehicle until an undetermined date when Chevy can get this figured out? Keep checking back. Chevrolet is going down hill fast with their customer service. Need help Chevrolet!!
As recommended by another user, i cycled my map lights and fixed the problem. Thanks to all

Rolande

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2021 chevy suburban
Already have this safety restraint system error coming up and I just purchased this new vehicle in July (2021) I have read a bunch of other threads where people had wires re-taped, or steering wheel spring replaced, and etc but no one has ever confirmed if they actually lasted, seems most said the error came back.
Anyone have any luck with getting this error to go away and stay away??
As recommended by another user, i cycled my map lights and fixed the problem. Code BIA&A Thanks to all

Iran

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2021 chevy suburban
Already have this safety restraint system error coming up and I just purchased this new vehicle in July (2021) I have read a bunch of other threads where people had wires re-taped, or steering wheel spring replaced, and etc but no one has ever confirmed if they actually lasted, seems most said the error came back.
Anyone have any luck with getting this error to go away and stay away??
I have the same problem with my tahoe 2023. I just bought it in October, after 2K miles, the air bag message popped up. I took it back to the dealer and "repaired" a harness/ connector from the driver seat because there is no parts from factory to replace the faulty one. It didn't work and now I don't know what's next.

Attachments

• IMG-20221226-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20221226-WA0006.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 12

JLanier

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same issue but along with my warning, my sunroof won't work. Mine started when the temp got below freezing. took it back and they said a fuse was blown. They fixed it and it worked until the weather got cold again. Nw I am told they know about it but they have no fix for it. Anyone else having the sunroof issue?

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder if all these issues might be related to water intrusion in the roof console, see here; esp the last video:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo