Sealing up the oil cooler block-off plate once and for all?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have tried 2 different gasket designs now, installed correctly per the manufacturer's instructions, torqued properly, and cannot get the oil cooler block-off plate to quit leaking on my '07. It's driving me crazy and it's getting worse as it's blowing back and dripping off the front differential now.

There are some billet covers out there and I bought one but the screws they shipped with it are too short, so I'm concerned that it will strip the aluminum threads if I try to use it. I could try longer bolts of course but I want to check with y'all first to see if any of you have found the ultimate solution here.

1702914955621.png

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have tried 2 different gasket designs now, installed correctly per the manufacturer's instructions, torqued properly, and cannot get the oil cooler block-off plate to quit leaking on my '07. It's driving me crazy and it's getting worse as it's blowing back and dripping off the front differential now.

There are some billet covers out there and I bought one but the screws they shipped with it are too short, so I'm concerned that it will strip the aluminum threads if I try to use it. I could try longer bolts of course but I want to check with y'all first to see if any of you have found the ultimate solution here.

View attachment 416787
I ran into same problem. I did stop the leak with the billet plate and mine came with long enough screws. It was 3-4 years ago and cannot remember the exact plate but I think it was this one: https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Rel...cooler+block+off+plate+for+5.3,aps,179&sr=8-7

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran into same problem. I did stop the leak with the billet plate and mine came with long enough screws. It was 3-4 years ago and cannot remember the exact plate but I think it was this one: https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Relocation-Adapter-M16-1-5-Sending/dp/B00NY4VJL8/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1855KQTXRXS19&keywords=billet+oil+cooler+block+off+plate+for+5.3&qid=1702915658&sprefix=billet+oil+cooler+block+off+plate+for+5.3,aps,179&sr=8-7
Thanks Ron. I'll give that one a try and see how it goes!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ron. I'll give that one a try and see how it goes!

I used the same one Ron linked you to. I only had it about 1.5-2 years but I subjected it to 70+ PSI many times. I gave it to my buddy when I installed an engine oil cooler and he's been running it for about a year now with no problems. He even reused the O-ring.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used the same one Ron linked you to. I only had it about 1.5-2 years but I subjected it to 70+ PSI many times. I gave it to my buddy when I installed an engine oil cooler and he's been running it for about a year now with no problems. He even reused the O-ring.

Thank you, Chris. Fingers crossed!

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope the block off plate fixes it, in theory it is the same kind of seal even with the block off plate.

I deleted the oil cooling system from my 94 k1500 and have increased oil pressure and no more oil leaks. My 08 Tahoe never had an oil cooler from the factory

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a bullet plate that provided a passage between the hole for the lines. I figure it mimics having a cooler. Mine had a silicone gasket attached to the plate. I don't think mine is leaking but I should probably take a fresh look at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar