Running 800watt inverter from cigarette plug?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Konman09

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 400 watt power inverter that came with a cigarette style plug and a clamp on positive/negative hook up but that was not strong enough to run my 32" LCD t.v.. So, I went and bought an 800 watt converter for the t.v. and it powers it just fine, however it only came with battery clamps, no cigarette plug. Is it okay to run the 800 watt'er off of a cigarette plug or will I fry the trucks wiring? Please advise, going tailgating in AM and don't want to run extension cords if I don't have to. Thanks everyone.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cig socket circuit won't carry the amount of current needed to operate the inverter. You'll keep blowing fuses. Your cig lighter circuit is probably protected by a 20A fuse, whereas the 800w inverter is drawing over 50a with the truck running around 14v. If you have the engine off and running strictly off the battery at 12v, then it draws even more current, over 60a.

Mgyver1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most factory cig plugs run a max oof 120 watts, so your 800 watt inverter will be way too much for the cig plug. You can make a cig plug for it but you can only plug in things rated at 120 watts or less into the inverter.

You can also run your own wiring and put a connector inside your truck, you could even hard wire it in and install it under the 2nd row seats.

Running 800 watts you'll need 8 guage wire with a 70a fuse.

Rollin Thunder

Banned for Repeatedly Insulting Members
Reaction score
what I have seen done too is people run their own 120V outlets in the center console and have the inverter inside the console tucked away. Which is pretty slick.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^That's how I did mine. 3000w inverter with an outlet in the front and two in the rear. I got tired of being late whenever my wife and I went anywhere because she had to blowdry and/or straighten her hair. So now she can that while we're on the move, lol.
I also use the inverter to power my tools when I'm doing a job away from the shop and power things when we're camping.
Centerconsolescreen2.jpg

jmyler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm going to resurrect and old thread. :)

I want to do this as well. I have a 400 watt inverter that i use when we are tailgating to run my flatscreen. Runs it great but of course just off of the battery. I wanted to run a power wire from the battery and try to put a plug somewhere in the back. I would love for it to be right next to the cig plug in the back. How did you guys mount a plug like that? My inverter is just a dual plug with a power button on top i'd like to get a flush mount plug so you don't even see the actual inverter.

jcrack_corn

Reaction score
me like. alot.

^^^That's how I did mine. 3000w inverter with an outlet in the front and two in the rear. I got tired of being late whenever my wife and I went anywhere because she had to blowdry and/or straighten her hair. So now she can that while we're on the move, lol.
I also use the inverter to power my tools when I'm doing a job away from the shop and power things when we're camping.
Centerconsolescreen2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo