Rocket Man's 2008 Bagged CC Silverado Build AKA "THE MACHINE"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I’ll install the cam next week, kinda itching to get it done. Any encouragement?

Why not? It's just a one day job, two if you're draggin ass because you can or if it snowballs. Keeping original lifters? Works with stock push rods and valve springs? Already have all the gaskets, new crank bolt, etc.?

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not? It's just a one day job, two if you're draggin ass because you can or if it snowballs. Keeping original lifters? Works with stock push rods and valve springs? Already have all the gaskets, new crank bolt, etc.?
I’m not pulling the heads, no need to so original lifters will stay. The engine only has 60k miles on it anyway. I have hardened pushrods, vitron seals, dual springs, ARP crank bolt, ACDelco gaskets, and a Smith Bros rocker trunion kit. It’s a bit of work with the dual springs, if you’ve done them you know, and the trunion kit. So I figure 2 days, I’m old remember. I require lots of breaks from bending over due to my back.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’m not pulling the heads, no need to so original lifters will stay. The engine only has 60k miles on it anyway. I have hardened pushrods, vitron seals, dual springs, ARP crank bolt, ACDelco gaskets, and a Smith Bros rocker trunion kit. It’s a bit of work with the dual springs, if you’ve done them you know, and the trunion kit. So I figure 2 days, I’m old remember. I require lots of breaks from bending over due to my back.

And, quality takes time!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sounds like all fun work. Get after it?!

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fine. I did enough today that there’s no going back. Just about 3 hours worth and one of those was getting a puller, finding out it didn’t work, returning it, and getting another puller. I have used a Chrysler harmonic balance puller OEMTools 27139 in the past but O’Reilly had a different one. It wouldn’t grab so I had to get the 27139 from Autozone. I almost broke my 1/2” breaker bar on the crank bolt- I had about 3’ of pipe on it for leverage and I think I bent it a bit. Ill pull the cam and install the new one in the AM. I was concerned I’d have to discharge the AC and pull the condenser but I measured and I have 2” to spare to pull the cam.

0A0E3C1D-861E-4BE5-A517-AA51894071DD.jpeg 27F50101-E137-49F7-88C9-5450A383DFE7.jpeg

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fine. I did enough today that there’s no going back. Just about 3 hours worth and one of those was getting a puller, finding out it didn’t work, returning it, and getting another puller. I have used a Chrysler harmonic balance puller OEMTools 27139 in the past but O’Reilly had a different one. It wouldn’t grab so I had to get the 27139 from Autozone. I almost broke my 1/2” breaker bar on the crank bolt- I had about 3’ of pipe on it for leverage and I think I bent it a bit. Ill pull the cam and install the new one in the AM. I was concerned I’d have to discharge the AC and pull the condenser but I measured and I have 2” to spare to pull the cam.

View attachment 249116 View attachment 249117
Haha! Hell yeah! Get it!

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After the cam I still have the springs and seals and then I have to do the rocker trunions. I don’t plan on finishing tomorrow...not sure how much I’ll get done. I’m in no hurry. I emailed @BlackBearPerf last Friday with the cam specs so hopefully they can send me a tune soon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pulled the rockers, timing cover, etc and was getting my dowels ready to keep the lifters from falling when I noticed the cam in the engine has one big bolt in the middle instead of 3 smaller bolts like the new cam has. My immediate thought was they sent me the wrong cam so I checked my emails to be sure I stated I had an LY2, then called Vinci HP and sent an email stating my engine was torn apart and I needed to get this figured out ASAP and if they needed to grind a new cam, I needed them to get on it. Then I saw a notice on their website stating all their cams are 3-bolt and I would need a 3-bolt cam gear. Doh. So off Googling I went and found a conversion kit from BTR on Summit’s site that said it would work. Ordered, next day air, for $70. Then I noticed an email back from Roger Vinci himself, with an exact explanation and a GM part# and stating I needed a 4 pole reluctor gear, make sure to get this exact part...then my phone rang and it was Roger who was talking so fast I didn’t want to interrupt him. He even apologized for taking so long to call me back...he was in the “cam lab” doing some testing on a new cam. Keep in mind the total time from my email and phone call to this point was 30 minutes. After he got done explaining about the reluctor and why I needed the gear from an 05-06 Corvette LS2 motor, I explained I found the info on his website and asked if the BTR product would work since it has the 4-pole 58-x reluctor and he said yep. Then he surprised me even more and said I now have his personal cell phone number, add him to my contacts but don’t give it to anybody, and I can call him directly if I need to get ahold of him in the future. Now that’s pretty cool. I have the cell phone number of the chief engineer and majority owner of Vinci High Performance. That dude is cool.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cam is in. I had some 1/4” rods that I slid in the oil passages at the front of the block when I did the cam in The Beast but I was reading online and I had thought they went UNDER the lifters to keep them from falling but today I found out they go beside the lifters and go into a groove on the sides of the lifters and they’re supposed to be 5/16”. I bought some different rods and had to grind/ sand the passenger side one in order to get it to slide in. Anyway, no lifters fell. I’m getting close to getting the trunnion upgrade done and that’s all I can do until the cam gear gets here tomorrow. I’ll do the springs after I can turn the engine over. I hate doing dual springs, they’re a real PIA. It’s so hard to keep them centered as you compress them, in order to install the keepers.

4A96BB81-84B4-4094-BE61-2509D5981EDF.jpeg 13CC2BCF-C101-4EEA-B1EF-65D4A76CE049.jpeg F419496A-9764-4B4C-938B-8E8D7904DA56.jpeg D2CB293D-F98A-49D0-84F3-2F3F24B1ABEF.jpeg 52D38B2F-8CCB-499D-9895-8CFC673AE447.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts