Rocket Man's 02 Denali Build Thread AKA "THE BEAST"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a bunch of crap, replaced and reprogrammed the PCM after all kinds of trouble. Thst took hours and a lot of learning. I kept getting error codes and had to figure out how to work around them. Turns out I had to run IE as administrator in Win10 on the new computer, then I had to close out the Tech2Win app after the programming interface started but nowhere in the help section did it say that. I had to s our the internet. Then after I finally got the PCM swapped out and programmed to my VIN, I didn’t even want to try starting it without my tune loaded. Of course, another error code- no VIN slots available even though I was using the same VIN. I found out I needed to buy one because the Autocal was licensed to the old controller. So I bought another license for $125 and got the tune to load. But now it seems the passlock is keeping me from starting it. It fires and then dies, and the Tech2 says something about the security system blah blah blah and I didn’t take a picture of it so I don’t remember. I’m trying the 10-minute key on, 10 second off, 10 on 10 off procedure I have read about but my security light isn’t on so idk. All the instructions I read is that when it won’t start, this light should come on. Maybe I have a burned out bulb. I’m on the second 10 minute cycle of the key in the on position. I heard it takes 3 cycles of this to work. I sure hope it does, I’m out of patience for about the 10th time today. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, got the passlock to work. Now my tach isn’t working and it set a code for crankshaft position variation relearn. I tried the relearn procedure with the Tech2 but it says to accelerate to the fuel cutoff rpm which fir a V8 it says is 4K. But the fuel cutoff never happens, I went up to the rev limiter a couple times. My neighbors who were out in front of their crappy little skinny houses with no backyards went inside after that. This thing is loud af lol. Woke up the whole neighborhood but that’s ok, they’re annoying over there anyway all the time.

If anybody has done this, please chime in. I’ll try again tomorrow. At least it’s running now.

I wonder if I need to install the stock tune and then try this.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe with the stock tune. I have done the case relearn on our envoy and it worked fine.
Only problem I was just thinking with my blower, cam, and bigger injectors I might hurt my engine. It wants me to rev it up to 4K rpms and stuff. I’m not comfortable doing that with a stock tune on my motor. Idk. @randeez do you have any insight?

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
Only problem I was just thinking with my blower, cam, and bigger injectors I might hurt my engine. It wants me to rev it up to 4K rpms and stuff. I’m not comfortable doing that with a stock tune on my motor. Idk. @randeez do you have any insight?

blow that **** up

kidding - let me read back the last couple pages and see wtf youre doing
So yeah, even on completely stock vehicles they sound like you’re trying to blow em up. First few I did I had trouble because I wasn’t holding them long enough. With any exhaust mods, it’s going to be ridiculous.
Anyways…. Do you think you are holding wide open until 4K? Or do you think you’re starting to lift because you’re thinking it’ll hit 7k by the time you’re foot is actually off the throttle completely

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I was worried about blowing up doing it too. I don't remember if the tech2 said to punch it WOT or just increase the rpms to the desired speed. I don't believe I went WOT tho.
FWIW anyway.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, got the passlock to work. Now my tach isn’t working and it set a code for crankshaft position variation relearn. I tried the relearn procedure with the Tech2 but it says to accelerate to the fuel cutoff rpm which fir a V8 it says is 4K. But the fuel cutoff never happens, I went up to the rev limiter a couple times. My neighbors who were out in front of their crappy little skinny houses with no backyards went inside after that. This thing is loud af lol. Woke up the whole neighborhood but that’s ok, they’re annoying over there anyway all the time.

If anybody has done this, please chime in. I’ll try again tomorrow. At least it’s running now.

I wonder if I need to install the stock tune and then try this.
was coolant temp above like 135 or something like that? theres a temp threshold that needs to be met iirc

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So yeah, even on completely stock vehicles they sound like you’re trying to blow em up. First few I did I had trouble because I wasn’t holding them long enough. With any exhaust mods, it’s going to be ridiculous.
Anyways…. Do you think you are holding wide open until 4K? Or do you think you’re starting to lift because you’re thinking it’ll hit 7k by the time you’re foot is actually off the throttle completely
Idk lol. Without a tach I was lost. I wasn’t setting the parking brake either which it says to do. Mine doesn’t work so I didn’t bother but it could look for that. But hey I disconnected the battery for awhile, then reconnected it and my tach is working now. Also I realized there was another abnormality when I was trying the procedure- the temp gauge was reading 180* but the program said it was waiting for minimum temp to be reached which happened in a few minutes and then it started with the next step, revving it up to 4K. I realized now the engine couldn’t have been warm, it hadn’t been started all day. Now it reads about 120* and the tach is working so maybe something needed to be reset. I’ll try the procedure tomorrow, it’s quiet time in the hood and peeps are outside enjoying the nice weather. This truck with pretty much open headers is gonna be hell on them for a few minutes. I did drive around the block and it runs great. I won’t know if this fixed the trans until I do some longer drives which I’m hesitant about doing until I get this latest issue resolved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz