Rocket Man's 02 Denali Build Thread AKA "THE BEAST"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
meh....just sit on your ass. it'll fix itself :crazy:

:lol:

Good luck. We'll be looking forward to hearing what you find. Pulling a trans can be a huge pain on multiple levels!! Hopefully the issue is obvious once it's out.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been watching Harbor Freights ads all winter waiting for the trans jack to come on sale and finally it happened. From $170 to $120. I ordered one so now if spring ever comes Ill be ready. The last time I rented one and it ended up costing about the same as this one plus it was old and decrepit lol.
View attachment 217509
Damn, that's nice.. I paid $100 for that little awkward red screw one..it worked, but that one is damn nice..

A 4×8 piece of plywood would make that easier to do in the driveway..u got that fun transfer case to deal with..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well f me I got it out after 8 1/2 hours today. Everything seemed to be a giant PIA , plus doing it in my driveway sucked. For instance, to pull the flex plate to TC bolts the starter had to come all the way out which meant the passenger header had to come off which meant the fender liner, plugs, wires and dipstick tube had to come off ( it goes between 2 of the header tubes). It was like that all day. Then when it was finally time to drop the trans, it wouldn’t come back at the top. There was one more bolt that I didn’t see ( not the top of bell housing but one space to the left) because you have to get your head up in a hole behind the trans to see it, and use a 4’ extension to remove it. Then it still wouldn’t come loose until finally as I was prying between the flex plate and TC it popped loose and fell off the damn trans jack. It didn’t hurt anything luckily. ****** news is that I see nothing wrong with anything. Torque converter doesn’t have any obvious signs, nor the transfer case. I think it’s the trans. If I put the gear selector in neutral the tail shaft only turns in one direction plus it seems like it makes noise as I turn the shaft although I can’t turn it much. I’m thinking I’ll get a return authorization and send the trans and converter back and see what they come up with. Besides I’m in no hurry to reverse this process. Damn truck tried to kill me today lol.

F515D10F-9F2D-4447-B69D-62FFEDF92A6E.jpeg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Well f me I got it out after 8 1/2 hours today. Everything seemed to be a giant PIA , plus doing it in my driveway sucked. For instance, to pull the flex plate to TC bolts the starter had to come all the way out which meant the passenger header had to come off which meant the fender liner, plugs, wires and dipstick tube had to come off ( it goes between 2 of the header tubes). It was like that all day. Then when it was finally time to drop the trans, it wouldn’t come back at the top. There was one more bolt that I didn’t see ( not the top of bell housing but one space to the left) because you have to get your head up in a hole behind the trans to see it, and use a 4’ extension to remove it. Then it still wouldn’t come loose until finally as I was prying between the flex plate and TC it popped loose and fell off the damn trans jack. It didn’t hurt anything luckily. ****** news is that I see nothing wrong with anything. Torque converter doesn’t have any obvious signs, nor the transfer case. I think it’s the trans. If I put the gear selector in neutral the tail shaft only turns in one direction plus it seems like it makes noise as I turn the shaft although I can’t turn it much. I’m thinking I’ll get a return authorization and send the trans and converter back and see what they come up with. Besides I’m in no hurry to reverse this process. Damn truck tried to kill me today lol.

View attachment 218948
I sure don't envy you. Good job buddy.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to quit so many times today. My bald head is all raw from rubbing it on the carpet I was laying on lol. I need to get the truck jacked up higher so I can use my creeper when I put it back together. Problem is, half of my driveway has crumbling concrete. Oh well, I’m proud of myself for accomplishing what I set out to do today. Sure was a lot of cussing for the last half a day.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I wanted to quit so many times today. My bald head is all raw from rubbing it on the carpet I was laying on lol. I need to get the truck jacked up higher so I can use my creeper when I put it back together. Problem is, half of my driveway has crumbling concrete. Oh well, I’m proud of myself for accomplishing what I set out to do today. Sure was a lot of cussing for the last half a day.
Take it from a fellow bald guy--gotta wear a hat to protect that dome piece!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne