Removing sway bars?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
I was watching a commercial the other day on some foreign SUV doing the devils revenge in Utah a very fun trail to run.

I noticed in the disclaimer they disconnected the sway bars I am wondering if the reason for this is to get the wheels to react more independent of each other to improve 4 wheel drive traction. If so would removing them help when I am rock crawling trails like Devils revenge or Rubicon trail?

I know it will affect street performance.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Yes it helps off road because it doesn’t try to equalize the front to each other. Rear is bar connected to frame on solid axle so yes it stabilizes but differently to front end. With a lift kit you definitely want them on when street driving. Just unbolt when you get to the trails.

OP
OP
Tozan

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
That is what I was thinking. I will have to make some quick disconnect mounts for them.

Reaction score
Fwiw I removed the front sway bar and think it handles better off road and have had no issues on pavement. Mine hasn't had a rear sway bar ( or prior owner removed it). 3" suspension & 3" body lift on 33's and no substantial body roll imo.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Post up some pictures of what you build for disconnects. I’ll probably do the same. There’s plenty of aftermarket devices for more popular trail rigs but nothing commercially available for GM insofar as I know.

Disconnecting anti roll bars definitely helps off road. I even do it on moderate trails because it reduces the tendency to rock side to side quickly as you roll over ruts and bumps. Makes for a more comfortable and relaxed ride.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you check around you may find quick disconnect kits for your sway bars. I used to off road a lot. Have been on the Rubicon. I have been to Moab. I did Potato Salad Hill at Moab. I have been to many trails here in Oregon. The disconnects work very well if you can find them. The idea is to allow separate wheel travel and to allow for MORE wheel travel as well.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
I’m assuming you like it better with them disconnected? I took off the sway bar on my old Jeep and loved it. Recently I broke one of the end links and was going to replace it, but now I’m thinking I’ll take off the other end link.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts