How big do i go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lifted_08tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have read a couple threads on sway bars ( I know another post ) . However after reading them now I am uncertain if I want to do front and back upgrades or just the back and leave front.

The tahoe is an 08 with 7.5" RC lift with 35s on 20s.

The issue were having is steering is beyond sensitive and when you turn the body rolls alot ( first lifted vehicle this high***) this may be normal but def. Not a daily comfort for driving.

Plans for the future may include off road which I read you wouldn't want to go too stiff however I am unsure if my wife actually ever plans to take it offroad. Any input would be appreciated. Also if there are other upgrades I should do to improve handling I am all ears.

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's common to run them on the street and to disconnect them when trail riding.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Are the sway bar bushings and end links original, or new? I replaced all with new when I lifted. With OEM, not garbage parts.

Ditto for all the moving parts in front and rear. If you have any worn parts such as A arm or control arm bushings it will be wandering.

I also recommend you post up the alignment specs for the group to comment on.

Just my opinion but that’s a lot of lift and I’m personally not a fan of RC following some poor results on a different vehicle of mine and reading too many posts such as yours.

Insofar as sway bars I’m running all OEM and no handling issues. IIRC @Tozan is running his lifted rig without.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
I have read a couple threads on sway bars ( I know another post ) . However after reading them now I am uncertain if I want to do front and back upgrades or just the back and leave front.

The tahoe is an 08 with 7.5" RC lift with 35s on 20s.

The issue were having is steering is beyond sensitive and when you turn the body rolls alot ( first lifted vehicle this high***) this may be normal but def. Not a daily comfort for driving.

Plans for the future may include off road which I read you wouldn't want to go too stiff however I am unsure if my wife actually ever plans to take it offroad. Any input would be appreciated. Also if there are other upgrades I should do to improve handling I am all ears.
I would stiffen up front and rear...

With a 7.5 lift on 35s it is going to shift a lot and stiffer sway bars front and rear for the street would help. The 20 in rims on the street are not so bad because they have a stiffer sidewall and you get less flex. Your set up is fine for a street queen but, not so good off road I would optimize it for the street.

For off road in your rig I would stick to mud holes and soft slow running smooth trails... Harder and rougher trails with twenty in. rims will be more challenging. Twenty inch rim side walls are stiff not allowing flex and have little benefit when airing down compared to 17's and will be more prone to punctures and other tire damage.

OP
OP
Lifted_08tahoe

Lifted_08tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I appreciate the input guys. So I do plan on freshening up the front end if anything needs replaced which I am sure ball joints need it. Previous owner claims to have had it done but the tires say otherwise. Every single one is worn unevenly. So new tires are a must, plus sway bars. Now the question is brand of sway bar and how big should I go. Stiffest I can find? Which seems to be 1.5 front and 1.25 for the rear. Also with a 7.5" lift so I need specific ones for this kind of lift.

Update on build*- just had the tune done on it so we no longer have flex fuel capabilities, no v4 mode, and did some tuning in prep for long tube or short tube headers and a CAI

OP
OP
Lifted_08tahoe

Lifted_08tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also to note, it does look like bushings are not aftermarket and the current setup is all stock. Trying to find an all in one kit that comes with links, bushings, etc.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Myself and @PNW VietVet recently went to Hellwig sway bars, and we love them. There is virtually no roll with these sway bars, even on tight cornering.
Our trucks are not raised, however, so I cannot comment directly on a raised truck. Other folks on this Forum with raised trucks will chime in one their own experiences and recommendations.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Myself and @PNW VietVet recently went to Hellwig sway bars, and we love them. There is virtually no roll with these sway bars, even on tight cornering.
Our trucks are not raised, however, so I cannot comment directly on a raised truck. Other folks on this Forum with raised trucks will chime in one their own experiences and recommendations.
I saw this thread earlier but did not respond because is a lifted rig and not sure if I could contribute in any way.

I see you are still loving the Hellwigs! Me too! The handling is an eye opener for anyone that rides with me. I warn them that I will be driving faster than normal just to show off. No barf bags needed so far!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons