Removing Rear Coil Springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but, for the benefit of others, my 2003 Tahoe is making loud popping-like sounds in the rear during turns. Especially audible during sharp turns at low speed. I replaced the sway bar insulator bushings and links and it's still there. Put the Chassis Ears on the body mount bushing bolts - nothing. Putting Chassis Ears on the rear control arms revealed nothing. Just put the Chassis Ears on the rear coil springs and bingo! They are the source of the noise. Probably the spring isolators. I do have 330,000 miles and 20 years on it.
Is it ONLY during turns? And is it not only a loud popping sound but you can FEEL the popping through out the truck as well? Because my 2001 did this when my rear diff went out. It was the spider gears stripping out on sharp turns, and it ONLY did it when turning.
If you are 100% sure it's the springs, then great. But its also possible the spider gears are stripped and the sound is possibly resonating through the rear end and into the springs. If you have not changed your rear diff oil in a while, I would drain it and go ahead and inspect the gears.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it ONLY during turns? And is it not only a loud popping sound but you can FEEL the popping through out the truck as well? Because my 2001 did this when my rear diff went out. It was the spider gears stripping out on sharp turns, and it ONLY did it when turning.
If you are 100% sure it's the springs, then great. But its also possible the spider gears are stripped and the sound is possibly resonating through the rear end and into the springs. If you have not changed your rear diff oil in a while, I would drain it and go ahead and inspect the gears.
Excellent call.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the driveshaft clunk, check the front differential mounts(2). The bushings go on it, and it starts to clunk. Purchase and replace the arms and bushings as complete units

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, if the driveshaft is clunking, that's another sign of a possible issue with the rear diff. I'd pull that diff cover and check it all out just to be sure. Get a good look at the spider gears and the pinion bearings.

houstontaylor

Reaction score
To update about the rear suspension popping or knocking noise, after replacing the springs with pads the sounds were still there. I put the chassis ears on the frame in the rear and found the sound in the rear frame everywhere I clipped them. I guess the sound was going from the frame into the springs and was not originating in the springs. The spring rubber pads, or isolators, were worn, hard, and cracked after 331,000 miles anyway so no wasted effort there. I did find some info on the internet about popping sounds in trucks with separate frames, as opposed to unibodies, when backing up while turning due to worn rubber body mounts. I just replaced all 12 body mounts and that was the source. I used the stock type rubber mounts. The rear two mounts were really loose due to worn rubber. Happy to have a quiet ride now.

NardDog

Reaction score
You just need big jack stands, the small ones wont give you enough height to be able to remove the springs. While youat it replace the OG shocks, theres a kit on Rock auto where you can get aftermarket springs and shocks so you dont have to get the expensive factory replacement.

NVMD looks like you fixed it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645