Removing Rear Coil Springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to diagnose the noise coming from the rear of my 2008 Yukon for some time now. The noise occurs in the rear when driving over speed bumps or any uneven areas in the road. It sound like it may be the rear coil springs moving slightly, but that is just a guess. I would like to remove the springs and install new insulators on the top and bottom just to see if that is the problem. I wish I could mount a video camera under the car to capture what goes on over speed bumps.

Do I need a spring compressor in order to remove them?

IMG_1118_zps07099fed.jpg

Rangel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can jack it up and let the axle hang. You have to jack up the axle and disconnect the sway bar links, shocks and brake like bracket. And I believe the diff vent tube. And the lower the axle down slowly. JUST WATCH FOR ANY LINES THAT MAY BECOME TIGHT.

Should have enough room to wiggle the spring out.

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

What kind of noise? A clunk or squeak?

OP
OP
YukonCrazy

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can jack it up and let the axle hang. You have to jack up the axle and disconnect the sway bar links, shocks and brake like bracket. And I believe the diff vent tube. And the lower the axle down slowly. JUST WATCH FOR ANY LINES THAT MAY BECOME TIGHT.

Should have enough room to wiggle the spring out.

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

What kind of noise? A clunk or squeak?

It's more of a squeak like back and forth.

Last edited:

Rangel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has the same thing. I inquired on here about it. Most seem to think its the sway bar bushings. I just have been to lazy to swap them. I'd try that first before dropped rear end.

OP
OP
YukonCrazy

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has the same thing. I inquired on here about it. Most seem to think its the sway bar bushings. I just have been to lazy to swap them. I'd try that first before dropped rear end.

Those half moon shaped rubber bushings? I may replace those and the end links just to make sure.

RotaryMachineRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropping the back end is simple as pie..... above poster was correct about watching for stretching lines and spring compressors are not needed. I recommend hopping over to the Belltech site and looking at their rear lowering spings... they have a link for PDF instructions to install them which outlines lowering the back axle with pictures and everything.... very straight forward.

OP
OP
YukonCrazy

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess my coil springs or good because after changing the sway bar bushings, the noise went away.

Now I am down to fixing the drive shaft *clunk*.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you know anyone with a Go Pro? Those are perfect for situations like this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent