Reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IEATZ28

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

In a couple months we are taking a trip that’s about 2000 miles in total. The thing I have been worried about is taking our family vehicle versus dropping a grand on a rental SUV. Our vehicle is a 2011 Suburban with 141k miles on it. We have kept up the maintenance on it (oil, plugs, tranny fluid, etc.). There are no warning lights on the dash. The thing that makes me nervous is that it is a higher mileage vehicle, and it has a fair amount of lifter tap when it’s cold. It smoothes out as it warms up, and it runs good down the highway. I have an 06 Tahoe that actually runs better than the Suburban and doesn’t have the cold lifter tap. It’s a very quiet, smooth running vehicle, but it’s not really suitable to haul 2 adults, 4 kids and all the luggage. I guess my question is: would you drive the Suburban given all the possible issues with the AFM or would you drop a grand on a rental for the peace of mind?

Thanks in advance!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

Based upon your description, I'd take the Suburban.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

You have pretty much talked yourself into a rental. If you take Suburban, will it be a guarantee that you will have no problems, no. But neither is there a guarantee with a rental. I just did 5500 miles in my 05 Tahoe with 150k miles in 15 days.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

In a couple months we are taking a trip that’s about 2000 miles in total. The thing I have been worried about is taking our family vehicle versus dropping a grand on a rental SUV. Our vehicle is a 2011 Suburban with 141k miles on it. We have kept up the maintenance on it (oil, plugs, tranny fluid, etc.). There are no warning lights on the dash. The thing that makes me nervous is that it is a higher mileage vehicle, and it has a fair amount of lifter tap when it’s cold. It smoothes out as it warms up, and it runs good down the highway. I have an 06 Tahoe that actually runs better than the Suburban and doesn’t have the cold lifter tap. It’s a very quiet, smooth running vehicle, but it’s not really suitable to haul 2 adults, 4 kids and all the luggage. I guess my question is: would you drive the Suburban given all the possible issues with the AFM or would you drop a grand on a rental for the peace of mind?

Thanks in advance!
What engine oil are you running?

My 2009 has 184K or so on it now and have no qualms about taking it across country. In fact, we're planning a 5K to 6K mile vacation with it later this year or early next. We'll be taking it off road and on mountain trails 13,000 feet up. If it breaks it breaks, we'll have a local GMC dealer fix it or one of you guys here on the forum if we're close enough!

OP
OP
I

IEATZ28

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I think you’ve given me the encouragement I needed to just drive the Burb. I’ve read too many stories of lifter failure, and I’m afraid of that. I will just rely on the consistent oil changes and maintenance serving us well. Thanks!

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I think you’ve given me the encouragement I needed to just drive the Burb. I’ve read too many stories of lifter failure, and I’m afraid of that. I will just rely on the consistent oil changes and maintenance serving us well. Thanks!
Good choice. It’s gonna be just fine. Leaving tomorrow for a 1700 mile trip in our ‘07 with 231K on the clock.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d say unless you have a problem with it right now you will be fine. Highway driving is very easy on the vehicle. It’s the stop and go and cold starts that put more wear on it.

BMW did a test, they put a brand new sedan on a dyno and “drove” it for 1 million miles changing the fluids at the recommended service intervals. After the 1 millions miles they tore the motor apart and found all of the clearances within factory spec.

Highway driving is the easiest task a vehicle can have.