Rear lift gate glass hinge seperation?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevrol8t

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I popped my rear glass on my '00 Tahoe and I heard a "tearing" sound now my rear lift gate glass will no longer close. I soon discovered that the upper portion of the hinge that is connected to the glass is held together by some sort of adhesive? Please tell me that GM or someone make an adhesive like this. I really don't want to buy a replacement glass just because of "glue separation".

However I have a funny feeling my answers will not be what I want to hear...

Thanks in advance...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the glue on my 2012 glass did that, tried looking around to see if there was a fix or something "industrial" that would work but no luck, the glue remained "glued" to the other part of the hinge and was probably not going to come off without a fight, I asked the dealer and they said they did not know of anything either so I ended up just buying another glass

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I popped my rear glass on my '00 Tahoe and I heard a "tearing" sound now my rear lift gate glass will no longer close. I soon discovered that the upper portion of the hinge that is connected to the glass is held together by some sort of adhesive? Please tell me that GM or someone make an adhesive like this. I really don't want to buy a replacement glass just because of "glue separation".

However I have a funny feeling my answers will not be what I want to hear...

Thanks in advance...
glue separation is common with GM

your not the first and not the last you have to get the glue and take off the old stuff and put new glue and hope it aligns correct

Last edited:
Reaction score
The right side hinge is "unglued" on our '01. It's been like that for about 5 years. I removed the lift support on that side, otherwise the glass was lifted at the top and had a gap. I can still open the glass, but I have to hold it, it will not stay up by itself with that lift support removed.

I thought about removing the glass and using something like JB weld over where the adhesive is cracked along the top of the hinge, or also trying to remove the existing adhesive with a wire wheel or something and using JB weld or another adhesive, but just never got around to it

OP
OP
chevrol8t

chevrol8t

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The right side hinge is "unglued" on our '01. It's been like that for about 5 years. I removed the lift support on that side, otherwise the glass was lifted at the top and had a gap. I can still open the glass, but I have to hold it, it will not stay up by itself with that lift support removed.

I thought about removing the glass and using something like JB weld over where the adhesive is cracked along the top of the hinge, or also trying to remove the existing adhesive with a wire wheel or something and using JB weld or another adhesive, but just never got around to it

I might try that. I would like to find the best adhesive I can get my hands on Vs paying 3-$500.00 for a replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts