Rear lift gate glass hinge seperation?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dobbster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay I popped my rear glass on my '00 Tahoe and I heard a "tearing" sound now my rear lift gate glass will no longer close. I soon discovered that the upper portion of the hinge that is connected to the glass is held together by some sort of adhesive? Please tell me that GM or someone make an adhesive like this. I really don't want to buy a replacement glass just because of "glue separation".

However I have a funny feeling my answers will not be what I want to hear...

Thanks in advance...
I had same issue with my 2001. I used a 2 part epoxy and it’s been holding now for 2 months.

David Kriss

Reaction score
OP
OP
chevrol8t

chevrol8t

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. Just want to thank everyone for their input. What I decided to do was purchase 3M one step primer and 3M Glass urethane Window adhesive. Been holding well and tough as a rock. no alignment issue when closing the hatch either. Hopefully it will stay that way.

OP
OP
chevrol8t

chevrol8t

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a hinge pop a little over a year ago. I bought a replacement glass and it failed withing a week. I had a replacement sent and it failed too. Both were GM parts. I cleaned off the old glue and used rubbing alcohol to clean the area. I then used this epoxy to glue the hinges back on: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005K091ZU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . It's been holding for a few months.

I saved your link to my amazon favs just in case this fix gives me trouble!

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. Just want to thank everyone for their input. What I decided to do was purchase 3M one step primer and 3M Glass urethane Window adhesive. Been holding well and tough as a rock. no alignment issue when closing the hatch either. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Did you remove all the old adhesive or just apply it to/in the crack?

OP
OP
chevrol8t

chevrol8t

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you remove all the old adhesive or just apply it to/in the crack?

That is where it got interesting. I heard to not remove all of the old adhesive and to use it as a "base" and to just scuff the existing to promote adhesion, apply the primer then adhesive. Then there were others who removed everything, starting from scratch. I chose the former. To make things clear. Right after my initial post here, the following day both sides finally gave ripping at the same time. So with both already detached I scuffed, primer and applied a healthy dose of adhesive and mounted back to the window. I gave 48 hrs to cure and I'm telling you it's sturdy. I guess only time will tell if this path was the correct one or not.

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used JB weld on my one hinge. It busted again. Its very hard to keep it lined up to dry. I may get a junkyard one and use glue in future if it breaks away too.

OP
OP
chevrol8t

chevrol8t

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used JB weld on my one hinge. It busted again. Its very hard to keep it lined up to dry. I may get a junkyard one and use glue in future if it breaks away too.
So far the 3M adhesive is holding steady, even in the AZ heat. I still monitor it (hinges) however, checking for possible separation. If you do decide to go my route don't forget the adhesive primer. Is it necessary? Maybe not but I used it anyway before using the adhesive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98