Rear differential rebuild difficulty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

temper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Rear differential blew out on my 2001 Tahoe LT 4WD a couple days ago. Had it towed* to a nearby garage, and they're looking at it now to see if it's rebuildable or if the axle shafts need to be replaced also. I'm trying to decide how much I'm willing to spend to have it fixed, and while I'm waiting for them to call back I've been looking at rebuild videos and rebuild kit prices. It doesn't look too difficult, but probably more than I want to deal with 1) on my daily driver and 2) in a cold garage during the winter.

So how difficult is it to rebuild a rear end?

*It was in the evening when it broke down, so I limped to a parking lot and got a ride home. I went back the next morning with tools, intending to possibly remove the driveshaft and drive it home in 4 HI. I changed my mind after envisioning the front differential blowing up on the 10 mile drive home, and getting stuck in a worse spot, on Christmas Eve no less.

OP
OP
temper

temper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks like that's the route I'm going. Shop said the axle splines are chewed up and the inside of the housing is jacked up. Based on the BANG that I felt and heard, which made me think I ran over a large brick, I don't doubt their assessment. Junkyard nearby has a rear for $300.

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like that's the route I'm going. Shop said the axle splines are chewed up and the inside of the housing is jacked up. Based on the BANG that I felt and heard, which made me think I ran over a large brick, I don't doubt their assessment. Junkyard nearby has a rear for $300.
Having just gone through a rebuild, IMHO $300 sounds cheap. Just keep in mind, that junkyard axle could go at any time too. I did all new bearings, axles, seals, and differential (aftermarket), and it cost me ~$800 I think. At least now I know it's all brand new (except the ring & pinion which were perfectly fine) and should last a long time now.

I posted a thread with lots of helpful advice and pointers about a month ago. Search it up and look if you're thinking about a rebuild. FWIW, not worth your time rebuilding the G80 locker itself if that's what you're talking about. Heck, if you can deal with a little gear wear on the G80 I'll sell you the functional one I took out of mine fairly cheap. You can buy "rebuilt" G80's on ebay for $100-150; I doubt they're fully rebuilt though because you can't buy the rebuild kit for that much.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Swap in that junkyard rear and take the old one home and rebuild it in the spring at your leisure.

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swap in that junkyard rear and take the old one home and rebuild it in the spring at your leisure.
This is a good course of action. It will get you back in business sooner, with little risk of "schedule slips" for unforeseen parts needs or hang-ups, and removing the axle and pressure-washing is the best way to get it truly cleaned of metal fragments.

This is the link to my rebuild AAR thread. Lots of good info in there... read it even if you don't plan to rebuild yours it will help you to understand what is involved. https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/rear-axle-differential-rebuild-aar.107838/

OP
OP
temper

temper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I've thought about doing this, as I'm concerned that the junker could fail on me, just as Countryboy19 mentioned. Just need to make some room in the garage for it.

OP
OP
temper

temper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is a good course of action. It will get you back in business sooner, with little risk of "schedule slips" for unforeseen parts needs or hang-ups, and removing the axle and pressure-washing is the best way to get it truly cleaned of metal fragments.

This is the link to my rebuild AAR thread. Lots of good info in there... read it even if you don't plan to rebuild yours it will help you to understand what is involved. https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/rear-axle-differential-rebuild-aar.107838/

I've just read through your writeup. Lots of good, useful info you've provided.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe me it looks simple but if its your first time and your dd I would just skip the rebuild and get a used unit. Just replace all seals and you will be good to go, if the pinion depth isn't in the bulk park you will end up with a headache that will probably whine on decel, which is what happens most of the time unless of course you get the depth right along with pinion preload and backlash on the first try. I would however rebuild the old one and get some practice and learn a new skill, its fun to get to learn something new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo