Rear Main Seal Leaking After Transmission Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John ThreeSixteen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We have a 2013 Tahoe LT with 5.3 liter. Transmission started slipping last November so we took it to a recommended transmission shop. They
actually did a nice job with the rebuild and now shifts great. The unfortunate thing that happened was a rear main seal leak that started about
two weeks or so later. They told us that the original seal was not replaced. I asked why and they said it was in good shape, or something to
that extent. They were going to charge $1600 to pull tranny and replace seal. We refused and took it to our local repair shop.
My two cents is I should have insisted that the main seal be replaced. I take responsibility...it was an expensive lesson. I hope
others here on the board don't make my mistake.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a 2013 Tahoe LT with 5.3 liter. Transmission started slipping last November so we took it to a recommended transmission shop. They
actually did a nice job with the rebuild and now shifts great. The unfortunate thing that happened was a rear main seal leak that started about
two weeks or so later. They told us that the original seal was not replaced. I asked why and they said it was in good shape, or something to
that extent. They were going to charge $1600 to pull tranny and replace seal. We refused and took it to our local repair shop.
My two cents is I should have insisted that the main seal be replaced. I take responsibility...it was an expensive lesson. I hope
What is the other shop going to charge you?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They told us that the original seal was not replaced. I asked why and they said it was in good shape, or something to
that extent.
I would never use that shop again. Why in the hell would they not want to replace a $30 part while the transmission is out other than have a way to get you to come back and pay them $1600 to do it later.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's one of those "while you're in there" things. Think about the following:

When I did our 07 6.2L rear main seal 5+ yrs & 63k miles ago, I also:
changed:
new torque converter
Tranny front pump seal – GM# 24237531
Tranny Input shaft seal –GM# 24219390
oil pan gasket
oil cooler blockoff plate gasket
changed the oil pump pickup tube o-ring
installed afm deflector shield
new starter
replaced leaky trans cooler lines

Also, you might want to change:
front differential mounts w/bushings
engine mounts w/H3 units
tranny mount
oil galley barbell

It hasn't needed much unscheduled mx since then. Has 193k miles today.

OP
OP
J

John ThreeSixteen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, it was a tough/expensive lesson to learn. You would think the transmission shop would
replace the seal regardless of how it looked.
My thoughts are to give others here on the forum a heads up and hopefully keep them from
loosing time and money as well as a lot of aggravation.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up with the same deal on my used 2008 Denali. Trans was replaced at the dealership at about 120k. I bought it with 140k and it had an oil leak. Seller said dealership said it was the pan gasket.........it wasn't. Now I just park on cardboard. People who can't see the big picture and be proactive bug's me.....

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ended up with the same deal on my used 2008 Denali. Trans was replaced at the dealership at about 120k. I bought it with 140k and it had an oil leak. Seller said dealership said it was the pan gasket.........it wasn't. Now I just park on cardboard. People who can't see the big picture and be proactive bug's me.....

I have to park mine over the La Brea Tar Pits in my driveway. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660