Rear differential and Fel-Pro gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the Fel-Pro gasket for my rear differential. I appeared to seal well for a number of months, then started to drip. I retorqued the bolts as they had become slightly loose (maybe down to 25 ft-lbs, torqued back up to 30 ft-lbs). That seemed to stop the leak for a couple of weeks, and now it's leaking again. I had cleaned up both surfaces very well, removing the old gasket material. Fel-Pro advertises that it can seal over imperfections in the gasket surface.

Has anyone else had trouble with this Fel-Pro gasket? Should I just redo the whole thing and use RTV? Is there another gasket that is better?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What axle? A long time ago I bent an axle on my 99 Silverado 10 bolt hitting a curb when I drove on a patch of ice and spun out. My mechanic replaced it and used black RTV. That was maybe in 2013. I don't believe it's leaked.

The new axles come with factory gaskets, at least the 2014 "12 bolt" axle I tore down did.

Last edited:

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I used the Fel-Pro gasket for my rear differential. I appeared to seal well for a number of months, then started to drip. I retorqued the bolts as they had become slightly loose (maybe down to 25 ft-lbs, torqued back up to 30 ft-lbs). That seemed to stop the leak for a couple of weeks, and now it's leaking again. I had cleaned up both surfaces very well, removing the old gasket material. Fel-Pro advertises that it can seal over imperfections in the gasket surface.

Has anyone else had trouble with this Fel-Pro gasket? Should I just redo the whole thing and use RTV? Is there another gasket that is better?
Some advice against it but I’ve always used RTV and I’ve NEVER had a leak. However when you go to do your next fluid change you’ll have to scrape all that shit off and re do it
Even my buddy’s who used the metal gaskets would use a thin layer of rtv on the gasket top and bottom for ***** and giggles

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've been reusing our original gasket for years, 5 times now at least, put it back on again yesterday. Still have a new one on the shelf. The OE 8.6 gasket is rubber with impregnated metal and of course, reusable.

That blue Fel-Pro should have been used with RTV on both sides but I would ditch it for the OE if mine were yours.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

if possible get the fel-pro metallized gasket, that is there premium line, I don't know about the gmt800's but on the gmt900's the oem gasket is metallized at least the one they sell now is. you should not need any "sealant" if everything else was good then I would suggest getting a new cover as they can warp around the bolt holes and leak. they are cheap to replace

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have always used Fel Pro gaskets with never a problem. You said the bolts loosened. That is not the gasket fault. Once the leak started, there is a path for the fluid to wick out of. Retensioning will slow for a period of time but typically leaks after. I always use a very very very thin film of Permatex sealer on both sides of the gasket with completely clean and dry surfaces. I also let set up for an hour before refill fluid.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always used Fel Pro gaskets with never a problem. You said the bolts loosened. That is not the gasket fault. Once the leak started, there is a path for the fluid to wick out of. Retensioning will slow for a period of time but typically leaks after. I always use a very very very thin film of Permatex sealer on both sides of the gasket with completely clean and dry surfaces. I also let set up for an hour before refill fluid.
The bolts probably didn't actually loosen. Probably the gasket compressed slightly, thus requiring to be re-torqued. The second time I checked the torque they were right up to 30 ft-lbs.

I might consider a new cover then, and try an OEM gasket. That fluid is expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo