Rear differential and Fel-Pro gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rebuild shop used rtv and it leaked in 2 months. Trying to snug it a bit made it worse.
I installed an oem (dry) that only cost about $11 bucks and no problems since.
So far on our truck, the factory generally got it right.

Last edited:

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used OEM gaskets, Fel-Pro, and "Victor Reinz" gaskets, and ALL of them have leaked on me within a year. After suggestions from members here and other forums, I bought the reusable Lube-Locker gasket. I've had it for over 3 years now with ZERO leaks. I've changed the rear diff oil at least once since buying this gasket, and it sealed right back up just fine. No leaks, re-usable, installs completely dry with no RTV or gasket dressing or anything. That all adds up to a WIN in my book. It also pays for itself after you re-use it a few times.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230909-000331.png
    Screenshot_20230909-000331.png
    528 KB · Views: 9

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, use a paint marker to mark your fasteners after you torque them all down. That way you can have a quick visual aid to show you that all the bolts are still tight when you inspect the brakes and undercarriage. I started doing that when I found some of the bolts got loose over time. I got tired of constantly grabbing a ratchet just to see if they were all still tight. The paint marker makes it a LOT Faster and easier.

03yukXL

Reaction score
I used the Fel-Pro gasket for my rear differential. I appeared to seal well for a number of months, then started to drip. I retorqued the bolts as they had become slightly loose (maybe down to 25 ft-lbs, torqued back up to 30 ft-lbs). That seemed to stop the leak for a couple of weeks, and now it's leaking again. I had cleaned up both surfaces very well, removing the old gasket material. Fel-Pro advertises that it can seal over imperfections in the gasket surface.

Has anyone else had trouble with this Fel-Pro gasket? Should I just redo the whole thing and use RTV? Is there another gasket that is better?
I always have used a bit of rtv on mind even with the gasket. Never had one leak

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if some of the leak experiences might be related to reusing the old cover that might have some deformation with a new thin gasket. I can imagine that the cover might get out of wack if attempts are made to retighten bolts.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I am wondering if some of the leak experiences might be related to reusing the old cover that might have some deformation with a new thin gasket. I can imagine that the cover might get out of wack if attempts are made to retighten bolts.
Just like the old tin valve covers, you are supposed to inspect and flatten the bolt holes flat before reinstalling with a new gasket. When you tighten the bolts, the tin would pull in against the diff housing and create a very small divot/cone shape in the tin. If reinstall, without flattening that tin, you do not have a flat gasket surface.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just like the old tin valve covers, you are supposed to inspect and flatten the bolt holes flat before reinstalling with a new gasket. When you tighten the bolts, the tin would pull in against the diff housing and create a very small divot/cone shape in the tin. If reinstall, without flattening that tin, you do not have a flat gasket surface.
I wonder!

Is it possible some one overtorqued the cover bolts? If this is truely the case, I might be best off either getting a new cover, or just using a bead of RTV only. This seems to be the most reliable solution, if done properly.

I'm now leaning more towards just using RTV. I understand I should be using RTV for gear oil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo