Rear differential and Fel-Pro gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If was over torqued, the flattening I am talking about can cure that. It is not that big a deal. Because the cover has a curled lip on the outer side edge, just lay that area on a flat area of your tool box or vice and use a ball peen hammer to make the "hole" area flat again with the rest of the inner sealing surface.

Smooth_Rider

Reaction score
You might have already dealt with your diff gasket, but I absolutely swear by this stuff- Hylomar, if you have never used it. Wear tight nitrile gloves and quickly spread as thin a coat as possible on both mating surfaces, then both sides of gasket. The solvent in it evaporates quickly, then assemble. I've used it on gas, oil, coolant, high pressure steam, etc without fail. Will not break off/plug up oil passageways like RTV. You might have to find it online, your local parts store likely won't have it. I believe it's made in Germany.
BTW, I've used this with felpro diff gaskets- zero issues.

Attachments

• 20230921_163817.jpg
    20230921_163817.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 2

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might have already dealt with your diff gasket, but I absolutely swear by this stuff- Hylomar, if you have never used it. Wear tight nitrile gloves and quickly spread as thin a coat as possible on both mating surfaces, then both sides of gasket. The solvent in it evaporates quickly, then assemble. I've used it on gas, oil, coolant, high pressure steam, etc without fail. Will not break off/plug up oil passageways like RTV. You might have to find it online, your local parts store likely won't have it. I believe it's made in Germany.
BTW, I've used this with felpro diff gaskets- zero issues.
Amazon has it.

Smooth_Rider

Reaction score
Its the sort of product you wanna stock up on bc it works so well, you know they're gonna ban it lol. The other good thing about it is a tube of it goes a long ways once you get the technique down (thin).

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Its the sort of product you wanna stock up on bc it works so well, you know they're gonna ban it lol. The other good thing about it is a tube of it goes a long ways once you get the technique down (thin).
I am gonna order a tube of it off of Amazon. The small 100 grams size. I do a bit of work at home and very rarely need the sealer. I also like to use The Right Stuff by Permatex.

Smooth_Rider

Reaction score
I am gonna order a tube of it off of Amazon. The small 100 grams size. I do a bit of work at home and very rarely need the sealer. I also like to use The Right Stuff by Permatex.
Let us know what you think when you get around to using it. You'll know its "different" as soon as you use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo