Differential Cover Gasket/Sealer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM parts sites telling me it's not a fit for my Tahoe.
Not for limited slip differential? Could they be referring to the Locker?

One goes on to note:
  • Genuine:
  • SKU: 15860607
  • Positions: Rear
  • Other Names: Cover Gasket
  • Description:
    Express, savana. Silverado, sierra. 8.6 ring gear. 10-bolt cover. Silverado, sierra. 9.50 ring gear. 10-bolt cover. 1/2 ton. Hummer H3. Canyon, Colorado. 5.3l. Electronic Stability Control. Ring Gear 8.625". 4.3L. This GM Genuine Part is designed, engineered, and tested to rigorous standards and is backed by General Motors
  • Condition: New
  • Applications: 8.50 & 8.625. W/O LIMITED SLIP.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM parts sites telling me it's not a fit for my Tahoe.
Not for limited slip differential? Could they be referring to the Locker?

One goes on to note:
  • Genuine:
  • SKU: 15860607
  • Positions: Rear
  • Other Names: Cover Gasket
  • Description:
    Express, savana. Silverado, sierra. 8.6 ring gear. 10-bolt cover. Silverado, sierra. 9.50 ring gear. 10-bolt cover. 1/2 ton. Hummer H3. Canyon, Colorado. 5.3l. Electronic Stability Control. Ring Gear 8.625". 4.3L. This GM Genuine Part is designed, engineered, and tested to rigorous standards and is backed by General Motors
  • Condition: New
  • Applications: 8.50 & 8.625. W/O LIMITED SLIP.
Yeah, that's wrong. Well, we have a locker anyways! LOL

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just get the Lubelocker, they’re awesome. And on a side note, use that Permatex gear oil RTV, for the bolts, and drain.. (I still need to redo mine, as the drain plug is weeping a bit).

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get the Lubelocker, they’re awesome. And on a side note, use that Permatex gear oil RTV, for the bolts, and drain.. (I still need to redo mine, as the drain plug is weeping a bit).
My fill plug has a flange with a rubber seal that both overlap the face of the cover so I don't ever forsee the plug leaking.
I recall it is a GM replacement cover.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My fill plug has a flange with a rubber seal that both overlap the face of the cover so I don't ever forsee the plug leaking.
I recall it is a GM replacement cover.
Mine is an aftermarket. I wanted the girdle, to hopefully save the rear end from damage, since adding some power. It doesn’t have any sealing provision. On that note, driving in the rain now is a serious pucker situation. I barely get on the throttle, and those rears break loose constantly. Ended up sideways again this morning, barely even touching the gas.. thankfully, easily recovered, and no harm done, but I’ve begun to use the Auto 4wd button on my t-case, to avoid this problem. Usually, I just drive the Honda, so don’t have to worry about it then.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So due to time constraints and needing the truck on the road quickly I had the local shop that I trust swap out the leaking rtv seal with a GM branded fiber type gasket, no rtv.

The mechanic was less than thrilled about having to remove the rtv from the 4 previous times of different shops monkeying around with the cover off.

Every experience I have with vehicles that the factory or mechanics cheaped out or were too lazy to get a gasket have been disappointing so I'm glad to have gotten away from that.

I had a brand new Jeep with goop valve cover gaskets that leaked from the start and leaked after the dealer did a repair of the same sort. I took a hike down to the parts store and low and found that there were actually gaskets made for that engine; problem solved for good.

So no rtv now on the Tahoe diff cover, bare gasket and no leaks. I do have a LubeLocker on order for the next time, if for nothing more than to see how they work.

Thanks fort he replies guys.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So due to time constraints and needing the truck on the road quickly I had the local shop that I trust swap out the leaking rtv seal with a GM branded fiber type gasket, no rtv.

The mechanic was less than thrilled about having to remove the rtv from the 4 previous times of different shops monkeying around with the cover off.

Every experience I have with vehicles that the factory or mechanics cheaped out or were too lazy to get a gasket have been disappointing so I'm glad to have gotten away from that.

I had a brand new Jeep with goop valve cover gaskets that leaked from the start and leaked after the dealer did a repair of the same sort. I took a hike down to the parts store and low and found that there were actually gaskets made for that engine; problem solved for good.

So no rtv now on the Tahoe diff cover, bare gasket and no leaks. I do have a LubeLocker on order for the next time, if for nothing more than to see how they work.

Thanks fort he replies guys.
I use Lubelocker for any gasket they make. I wish they offered more but so far I have the trans pan and diff covers. They’re easy to use and look like they’ll last about forever. No leaks.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Lubelocker for any gasket they make. I wish they offered more but so far I have the trans pan and diff covers. They’re easy to use and look like they’ll last about forever. No leaks.
Agree 100%. I was pretty bummed, expecting they made an oil pan gasket, and finding that’s not the case.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree 100%. I was pretty bummed, expecting they made an oil pan gasket, and finding that’s not the case.
They probably don't make one for the oil pan because it's pert near impossible to keep that thing from leaking without a dab of RTV at each corner. Even then, it's iffy. My front corners on my 2012 are weeping a little bit and I was super careful when I put it all back together. Se la vie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094