4WD stub axle housing gasket???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bgonzo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm replacing the passenger side front axle seal on my 2001 Tahoe, and had to remove the stub axle housing from the differential. I noticed that there was no gasket at this location. This seems odd to me.

1. Is there supposed to be a gasket at this location?
2. If not, what sealant should be used here?

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'm replacing the passenger side front axle seal on my 2001 Tahoe, and had to remove the stub axle housing from the differential. I noticed that there was no gasket at this location. This seems odd to me.

1. Is there supposed to be a gasket at this location?
2. If not, what sealant should be used here?
Post a pic of what your looking at.

OP
OP
B

bgonzo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, but it appears the part numbers listed are used on newer vehicles. Can find a gasket for 2001 Tahoe anywhere. I'm going to just but it together with RTV. I'll let you know how it goes.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, but it appears the part numbers listed are used on newer vehicles. Can find a gasket for 2001 Tahoe anywhere. I'm going to just but it together with RTV. I'll let you know how it goes.
chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://s3.amazonaws.com/aamsiteassets/resources/file-20180329163830.pdf

I took a closer look at the AAM parts list. That gasket was used in the 2007+ but it included in the kits all the way back to 1997. So I reckon that you can use it or not use it.

We have a fellow on here who knows a lot about your generation IFS so let's ask him to be sure. @Matthew Jeschke

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://s3.amazonaws.com/aamsiteassets/resources/file-20180329163830.pdf

I took a closer look at the AAM parts list. That gasket was used in the 2007+ but it included in the kits all the way back to 1997. So I reckon that you can use it or not use it.

We have a fellow on here who knows a lot about your generation IFS so let's ask him to be sure. @Matthew Jeschke

Link didn't work -- too long and seems to be two in one. Fixed below:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo