Differential Cover Gasket/Sealer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you use RTV in addition to the gasket on the differential cover?
My cover had just rtv after a shop worked on the differential and it's leaking about a year out, but I have an oem gasket to use that is hopefully a better solution.
So, add rtv on the gasket faces or not?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you use RTV in addition to the gasket on the differential cover?
My cover had just rtv after a shop worked on the differential and it's leaking about a year out, but I have an oem gasket to use that is hopefully a better solution.
So, add rtv on the gasket faces or not?
Not for the rubber/metal gasket. A paper gasket, yes. The rubber gasket is reusable.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not for the rubber/metal gasket. A paper gasket, yes. The rubber gasket is reusable.
Where are the rubber gaskets found?
The GM oem that I bought appears to be thick paper, perhaps impregnated with something.
The original one, that looks like the oem that I recently bought, lasted 90,000 miles and the rtv (no gasket) that the shop used to replace it about 3,500 miles. When I checked the bolts it appears that they are cranked down hard which I didn't expect. So much for the so called 4x4 specialty shop.

I also ran across "LubeLocker" that claims to be reusable. It doesn't appear to be metal though.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Even with the paper gasket, I always use a very thin film of sealer. I am talking a very thin light smear on the surfaces. It has served me well for many many years.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are the rubber gaskets found?
The GM oem that I bought appears to be thick paper, perhaps impregnated with something.
The original one, that looks like the oem that I recently bought, lasted 90,000 miles and the rtv (no gasket) that the shop used to replace it about 3,500 miles. When I checked the bolts it appears that they are cranked down hard which I didn't expect. So much for the so called 4x4 specialty shop.

I also ran across "LubeLocker" that claims to be reusable. It doesn't appear to be metal though.
They come with them from the factory, 15860607. It is a reusable rubber and metal gasket. It's like the transmission pan gasket.

I've had mine off three or four times over the years and always reused it without sealant.

The 9.5" differentials no longer come with this kind, paper only except for the LubeLocker.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They come with them from the factory, 15860607. It is a reusable rubber and metal gasket. It's like the transmission pan gasket.

I've had mine off three or four times over the years and always reused it without sealant.

The 9.5" differentials no longer come with this kind, paper only except for the LubeLocker.

What material is the LubeLocker?

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Is there a metal/rubber one for an 8.5" 10 bolt? My GM paper one is 15807693, looks different than yours.
15807693_Primary.jpg

Last edited: