Rear cargo area roof leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TNRacedoc

TNRacedoc

Reaction score
---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

[/COLOR]
I have the same problem with my 2000 Yukon XL. Did you solve the leak?

Nope...if you come across anything, please share

aveelect

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
giggygxr and fiatdale were correct with their replies. I made a temporary repair last week by placing duct seal (buy in Home Depot) around the rubber and plastic piece that clips into the body. The duct seal stopped the water coming into the cargo area. I am planning on doing a permanent fix by using silicone to hold the plastic piece against the body making it water tight and then re-install the duct seal as a back-up.

OP
OP
TNRacedoc

TNRacedoc

Reaction score
giggygxr and fiatdale were correct with their replies. I made a temporary repair last week by placing duct seal (buy in Home Depot) around the rubber and plastic piece that clips into the body. The duct seal stopped the water coming into the cargo area. I am planning on doing a permanent fix by using silicone to hold the plastic piece against the body making it water tight and then re-install the duct seal as a back-up.

Send pics of your repair as you follow-up?

I checked ours again yesterday before a huge downpour. Seems to fit snugly, but water in the right rear again after the rain passed through... :blah:

nmsyukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue. As fiatdale and others have said, it's where the wires enter the truck. A little bit of silicone has fixed my leak

Bchee2384

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think I have this same issue on the Tahoe I just bought. Does anyone have any recommendations for cleaning the headliner in the back? mine has water marks...

OP
OP
TNRacedoc

TNRacedoc

Reaction score
It's been a while since my original post and I've tried essentially every solution offered here. Still leaks from the same place: right rear corner and a little forward of that, sometimes running down over that little vent thingie on the bottom right. I remain suspicious the leak has something to do with either the luggage rack where it attaches in the rear, or that "gutter" that runs down the side covered by a rubber strip.

I've been leery of trying to remove the luggage rack end cap (due to concerns over possibly breaking it) and of removing the rubber "gutter" cover, for fear I'd damage it and have to have it professionally replaced...

If there are any new theories, or safe advice on how to do detective work on those two other possible sources, please share... This is making me (more) mental! :emotions122:

mallguvner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just ran this by Chevy Dealer Mechanic I know and he said same thing. Grommet seal where wire loom comes through most likely. Will await a warmer, dry day.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The end caps on your luggage are pretty easy to remove. I use a really small flat blade screw driver and gently work my way from the end of the cap in towards the chrome piece and gently pull it up. There’s just plastic clips on the underside. Once they’re released the whole cap comes up and off. That way you can check the bolts to see if there right underneath. I wouldn’t think that would be a source of a leak but you can always check it. I’ve had the same style roof rack like what your truck has on my 2006 xl, essentially the “esky style roof rack”, for about three years now and have never had a leak from there.

Jgibson4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is great info. My 2012 Yukon xlt is having the exact same leakage problem as the original post. Anybody know how to take the plastic piece off along to top in the back? I'd like to see the water coming in before I spend time/money. Probably just pops off but I don't want to break it. Thanks....GREAT site!!!!

Jgibson4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I spent several weeks trying to fix my leak...nothing seemed to work. Took to a reputable collision repair place and they said 3k to 5k to repair because they have to guarantee it for life and it may take days to find it along with removing all carpet etc in the back to check for mold. I quit...took it to CarMax and traded it in for a 2019 yukon 4wd. Headache gone but now a small monthly payment.