Rear cargo area roof leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TNRacedoc

Reaction score
My '07 Yukon XL Denali has been leaking from through the headliner just near the rear cargo door on the right. There's a water stain on the headliner. Sometimes, the water even seems to come through the vents on the side below and it leaves a puddle anytime we have significant rainfall. I've opened the rear door a time or two and saw it not dripping but pouring through the headliner and out that side vent... Not many places it can leak and come through those places, so I'm figuring a gasket around the luggage rack maybe?

Any other ideas, experiences, suggestions?

KennyK

Reaction score
My '07 Yukon XL Denali has been leaking from through the headliner just near the rear cargo door on the right. There's a water stain on the headliner. Sometimes, the water even seems to come through the vents on the side below and it leaves a puddle anytime we have significant rainfall. I've opened the rear door a time or two and saw it not dripping but pouring through the headliner and out that side vent... Not many places it can leak and come through those places, so I'm figuring a gasket around the luggage rack maybe?

We had on come in the shop with a similar leak and was coming from the hinge bolts for the lift gate

KennyK

Reaction score
So, the repair would be to remove the hinge bolts and...???

at first make sure the are tight if they are you could try and put a little 3m strip caulking around the bolts under the hinge

OP
OP
TNRacedoc

TNRacedoc

Reaction score
at first make sure the are tight if they are you could try and put a little 3m strip caulking around the bolts under the hinge

Bolts checked out...and the part I could actually tighten was attached to the gate, and not to the truck. Even if the part attached to the truck were the issue, the water stain and leakage is coming from a much different locale. I still say it's something to do with the luggage rack.

Anyone know how to remove the caps so I can check the attachment bolts for the rack rail? The end wiggles some...and I've heard you can just "pop it off", but I know my luck and that usually means I end up breaking something that has to be replaced at additional expense... :shakehead:

OP
OP
TNRacedoc

TNRacedoc

Reaction score
Bumping this one to see if there are any other ideas or recommendations as to the origin of this leak.

I'm still wanting to pop the roof rack and see what's up...as it makes the most sense as an origin, given the location of the leak.

Anyone with a similar leak/solution?
Anyone with instructions for removing the roof rack caps without breaking them?

gibbygsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the rubber grommet where the wires come into the truck. It's a two part system. The rubber wraps around a plastic piece that clips in to hold it in place.

Last edited:

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
^^ This is a VERY common problem. Had the same issue on mine, and we get them in the shop all the time. Check that first and foremost.

aveelect

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I have the same problem with my 2000 Yukon XL. Did you solve the leak?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz