New rear axle bearings and seals.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after getting back after it with all the parts I cleaned up inside the housing and there are stops for each of the Tone Ring, Bearing, and seal. Okay, the seal stops against the outside of the housing.

I had a rented bearing and seal driver but it was a stupid design and I couldn't come close to using it for the Tone Ring (reluctor). I used a large 3/4" drive socket and walked it in with that. Worked fine.

Meanwhile (not back at the ranch) I had put my bearings and seals in the deep freeze yesterday. When I was ready for those the bearings almost fell into place with just a little tapping. Seals too. Sweet.

Got that back together and before I put the axles in my way I installed my new parking brake shoes. It's a snap when you don't have the axles in the way. Slid the axles back in and wiggled them in. Plunked the U-clips on the axle ends and went to reinstall the lightly lubricated pinion or pin or whatever. Hm. No go. Rotate an axle and et voila dropped in. Then I needed to rotate the whole thing to put the bolt back to hold that pin in place and it wouldn't turn.

Oh no! What do I have wrong? Oh yeah. I'm back in Park. :-/ With it back out of park that part was a cinch too. I use a 1/4" drive long extension and can spin that little sucker right back in and snug it down.

My new diff gasket was rubberized so I skipped the RTV. One of the bolts for the cover is a few threads longer to hold the brake line clip. Got that on there too. Filled the diff with synthetic and a tube of friction modifier. I don't know if I should have used the friction modifier for an Eaton diff. Seemed to be just a little low on oil yet so I guess I get to go buy another bottle.

Putting the brand new rear rotors onto the brand new parking brake ring I had adjusted both sides all the way back in. One side slips right on and seems loose. The other side didn't want to go at all. I figured it just wasn't centered properly but nothing I've done yet seems to get it centered. I pulled it down using some of the lugs. Who knows what havoc will occur the first time I drive it. I did hold the parking brake release and pump that up and down. Needs adjustment. Gotta go look that up next.

To make getting to the rusty bolts on my diff cover easier I took the cross brace off from the suspension. With the axle at full droop I won't get that back in. I'll put my wheels back on and jack up the diff until that's close or lined up.

I put new calipers and brackets on with new brake shoes too. Now I also need to bleed my brakes. I guess that should come before putting the wheels back on.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet. No modifier needed for the new fluids. But that’s a whole other discussion as some think it’s still needed. There’s a thread here or on gmullsize that’s been going on forever discussing this. Glad everything worked out for you. Looking forward to your first drive.

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it's been a few days since my first drive. When I turned the key on I got an ABS light that stayed on. At first movement the dash lit up with errors for things related to reading the rear wheel speed. Oh dang.

My first thought was that in pulling things apart I had wiped the ends off the sensors to read the reluctor. I drove it like that for a while with the ABS kicking in at odd times and the lights staying lit. I had a houseful of guests so I didn't have much choice but to load my group into the Tahoe with 3 rows of seats and haul everybody up to Gatlinburg for a day. All the lights stayed on. On my way home all the lights stayed on. I didn't expect anything else.

I arranged with a friend to get some time on his lift to replace the sensors. Called O'Reilly's auto parts near me and was assured they could read all the codes with their Bosch reader. When I started the Tahoe to go there 2 days after driving to Gatlinburg and back there were NO lights. Hm.

I figured as soon as I moved it would light up. Nope. Got up to 60 in short order; no more lights. Took the highway route over to Dandridge and ran 80. No lights.

O'Reilly's plugged in their reader and saw some stale codes that showed the right rear sensor wasn't reading. Stale! It worked fine now. It's been fine since through many starts and stops. I've shut it down at short stops and each time it comes up clean.

My theory is that the reluctor had a coating of black goo I took to be grease. I think it caused the reluctor to slip on the axle shaft and not turn. Driving enough washed it out and the reluctor locked onto the axle.

Now though I need to get back in and tighten up the parking brake. It won't hold worth a crap right now. Annoying.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pat great posts and details here. Thanks for talking me out of doing mine. :D

My LR seal has a weep and it will continue to do so. Great info here by everybody in case I change my mind later. Thanks.:cheers:

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While the job is no snap by any means there are better tools for pulling seals and bearings. I had no idea the reluctor was inside the axle tube and wasn't prepared for my free rental tools to be so poorly fit for the job. The right puller will get things out in the proper order though rolling the seal in may still be the best way for it.

Ironically my friend with the lift has the better puller but I never talked with him about it. The real shame is that he came over to look at my differential when I couldn't locate the U-clips. That was before screwing up things with the rental tool.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it's been a few days since my first drive. When I turned the key on I got an ABS light that stayed on. At first movement the dash lit up with errors for things related to reading the rear wheel speed. Oh dang.

My first thought was that in pulling things apart I had wiped the ends off the sensors to read the reluctor. I drove it like that for a while with the ABS kicking in at odd times and the lights staying lit. I had a houseful of guests so I didn't have much choice but to load my group into the Tahoe with 3 rows of seats and haul everybody up to Gatlinburg for a day. All the lights stayed on. On my way home all the lights stayed on. I didn't expect anything else.

I arranged with a friend to get some time on his lift to replace the sensors. Called O'Reilly's auto parts near me and was assured they could read all the codes with their Bosch reader. When I started the Tahoe to go there 2 days after driving to Gatlinburg and back there were NO lights. Hm.

I figured as soon as I moved it would light up. Nope. Got up to 60 in short order; no more lights. Took the highway route over to Dandridge and ran 80. No lights.

O'Reilly's plugged in their reader and saw some stale codes that showed the right rear sensor wasn't reading. Stale! It worked fine now. It's been fine since through many starts and stops. I've shut it down at short stops and each time it comes up clean.

My theory is that the reluctor had a coating of black goo I took to be grease. I think it caused the reluctor to slip on the axle shaft and not turn. Driving enough washed it out and the reluctor locked onto the axle.

Now though I need to get back in and tighten up the parking brake. It won't hold worth a crap right now. Annoying.
That black stuff is not grease. It’s there to help the reluctor grab the axle yet still be able to remove and reinstall the axle. Glad things are working now.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While the job is no snap by any means there are better tools for pulling seals and bearings. I had no idea the reluctor was inside the axle tube and wasn't prepared for my free rental tools to be so poorly fit for the job. The right puller will get things out in the proper order though rolling the seal in may still be the best way for it.

Ironically my friend with the lift has the better puller but I never talked with him about it. The real shame is that he came over to look at my differential when I couldn't locate the U-clips. That was before screwing up things with the rental tool.
Weird, the bearing puller and install set I borrowed from Oreilly worked perfect.

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably. I now see them as the better auto parts store. I got my set from AutoZone.

Mericas_Meuth

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Speaking of the subject... What are the best bearings to go with on rear axle? I know to use timken on front wheel hub assembly but haven't had luck finding the "go to" bearing for the rear.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of the subject... What are the best bearings to go with on rear axle? I know to use timken on front wheel hub assembly but haven't had luck finding the "go to" bearing for the rear.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I used ACDelco.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM