Rant - Air Filter check

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pitterpat

Reaction score
Who in the H -* - L - L told GM to have screws, torx screws at that on the Air Filter enclosure? That is the DUMBEST idea I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What happened to clamps to keep it closed????:893Chainsaw-Smilie-:893karatesmiley-thu:badidea::badidea::badidea::badidea::badidea::badidea:

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who in the H -* - L - L told GM to have screws, torx screws at that on the Air Filter enclosure? That is the DUMBEST idea I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What happened to clamps to keep it closed????:893Chainsaw-Smilie-:893karatesmiley-thu:badidea::badidea::badidea::badidea::badidea::badidea:
Welcome to 2007

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand your frustration, but it's not like you have to open it up at every fill-up. Where the filter box is located, clamps would probably be just as much of a pain. I couldn't tell you the number of clamps I've had pop off and fall somewhere that required me to remove the whole filter box assembly just to retrieve it. Them mid-90s cars were the worst.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anything to add extra trouble for people who want to start doing thier own maintenance. torx are easy to get but most people just dont have those tools.

Reaction score
Are they only torx, or torx with a slot through the center so a flat blade screwdriver works too?

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

OP
OP
P

Pitterpat

Reaction score
Are they only torx, or torx with a slot through the center so a flat blade screwdriver works too?

No, just torx screws, luckily (as a female) I have all of these tools, but it was just a pain in the rear. Luckily I have a 12" 3/8 extension and a 1/4" doohicky to put on the end to be able to use the torx bit from a Stanley rachet kit I carry in the Yukon.

It's just ridiculous, there should be an easier way.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL

OP
OP
P

Pitterpat

Reaction score
tbh I don't even bother "checking" mine. If I'm going to pull it apart for inspection, for the couple bucks a filter is, I'd just assume install a new one.

I do mine annually as part of my "going into winter" maintenance checklist.

I've never looked at it like that. I've had this veh. 2 years and I haven't changed it yet. When I did look at it today it was very clean, should have taken a picture but I was trying to check it b/4 it started to rain. I'll pick one up week after next.

Thanks for the tip.

Reaction score
It must be my 2001 that has the torx/slotted type screws then

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345