Rant - Air Filter check

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the tools but I did think it was something to keep people from doing it themselves too.
the less inclined someone is to do thier own work the more they will use a garage. if you have a newer vehicle you also more inclined to use a stealership.

Mickey_7106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see what the problem is. It's a screw, it turns in the same directions as others

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see what the problem is. It's a screw, it turns in the same directions as others
people are lazy and manufacturers know it. lol im not really one to talk tho i just had a part ordered through Amazon for my other car. i spent more time getting someone i know to order it for me than make my own Amazon account for one part. if i didnt do car work on the side i probably would go buy a tool for a one time use either.

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
It threw me for a loop when I checked mine for the first time after buying it. Got out three 1/4 ratchet extensions and a torx socket and they came out. Took 3x as long as it should have but its not something you check every oil change so I don't see what the big deal is. I might pick up a long torx screwdriver though for it.

Mickey_7106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they have prime, split the cost with them. I think you can have up to three sub accounts

people are lazy and manufacturers know it. lol im not really one to talk tho i just had a part ordered through Amazon for my other car. i spent more time getting someone i know to order it for me than make my own Amazon account for one part. if i didnt do car work on the side i probably would go buy a tool for a one time use either.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they have prime, split the cost with them. I think you can have up to three sub accounts
in the past 3 or 4 years ive ordered a total of twice off Amazon. i generally find anything i want at a comparable price with free shipping already so i have no need for it. i really only ever use it when i find an item i want but i dont trust the original website. or like with my civics door latch Amazon was the only place that had one in stock.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been a broke bastard for most of my life but I wisely purchased small tools here and there as I could afford them (tools last forever unless you break them), I remember one time in particular the timing jumped on my 79 trans am I barely had 2 nickels to rub together and the cheapest place I could find to do the job was $600-700, that TA was my only transportation, I leaned real fast how do a timing chain, I dreaded it going in and figured screw it either I will be successful or I will still be totally screwed anyway so why not? it worked out perfectly and it was a pretty good feeling that I managed to save that much money by doing it myself. I still have those tools 30 years later and they still save me money.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to tell you but you will be buying more tools forever if you want to do your own work on your vehicles. Seems every time I work on a different part of my rig I need another tool. You’ll never have everything you need. I just had to buy a dial caliper to check crankshaft end play. Last month I didn’t even know what either of those terms meant. Hey just for fun, go look at what holds your seats in. Torx screws are one of the most basic items and have been used on crap forever. As well as reverse torx. Or torx plus like the T55 torx plus that hold the bell housing to the trans that I just had to deal with. I stripped out 2 of them , ordered replacements by part number only to find out they have been superseded by something called Mortorq. I didn’t have that tool, and it was cheaper to buy used torx plus bolts from eBay than buy the Mortorq socket.Then there’s security torx which have a raised dot in the middle. Oh man now you’ve got ME started lol.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I hate to tell you but you will be buying more tools forever if you want to do your own work on your vehicles. Seems every time I work on a different part of my rig I need another tool. You’ll never have everything you need. I just had to buy a dial caliper to check crankshaft end play. Last month I didn’t even know what either of those terms meant. Hey just for fun, go look at what holds your seats in. Torx screws are one of the most basic items and have been used on crap forever. As well as reverse torx. Or torx plus like the T55 torx plus that hold the bell housing to the trans that I just had to deal with. I stripped out 2 of them , ordered replacements by part number only to find out they have been superseded by something called Mortorq. I didn’t have that tool, and it was cheaper to buy used torx plus bolts from eBay than buy the Mortorq socket.Then there’s security torx which have a raised dot in the middle. Oh man now you’ve got ME started lol.
They use those security torx in jails alot--obviously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan