Rancho Quik-Lift, Upper and Lower Control Arms, Tie Rod Ends, Hub Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sneasle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4x4s typically have the aluminum arms. This was done to save weight, to offset the additional weight of the front differential and transfer case. I have seen on this forum, later model 4x4s with steel arms. Maybe it was a shorter Tahoe, don't remember.

4x4 Tahoes have the iron block LMG, while the Suburbans have the aluminum block LC9, save for the 2013s and 2014s... I think.

Well, a check with a magnet shows that my knuckle is magnetic, so I guess I have the steel ones. Hopefully I'll have a change to give it a better looking over tomorrow.

Edit: Just went out and looked again, nice and dark in color, and a magnet sticks nicely. Steel is the winner.

Also, is there are RPO code for the LC9 vs LMG? Or is that just how they shipped?
Edit again found my own answer. The 8th digit in the VIN references the block, 0 for LMG and 3 for LC9. Mine is a 3.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, a check with a magnet shows that my knuckle is magnetic, so I guess I have the steel ones. Hopefully I'll have a change to give it a better looking over tomorrow.

Edit: Just went out and looked again, nice and dark in color, and a magnet sticks nicely. Steel is the winner.

Also, is there are RPO code for the LC9 vs LMG? Or is that just how they shipped?
Edit again found my own answer. The 8th digit in the VIN references the block, 0 for LMG and 3 for LC9. Mine is a 3.

The steering knuckles will be steel, the arms should be aluminum. However, when I look up your truck on GMPartsGiant, there is no aluminum option, just Cast Iron and Forged Steel for the control arms. If your truck is a K107 or K109 it will have cast iron and if it has RPO CK1, whatever that is, it will be forged steel. Interesting.

sneasle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The steering knuckles will be steel, the arms should be aluminum. However, when I look up your truck on GMPartsGiant, there is no aluminum option, just Cast Iron and Forged Steel for the control arms. If your truck is a K107 or K109 it will have cast iron and if it has RPO CK1, whatever that is, it will be forged steel. Interesting.

Hmm. I have k109 in the top right corner of my RPO code list in the glovebox, but no CK1.

Either way, my concern was that the MOOG parts won’t fit an aluminum knuckle, and since I don’t have that all should be fine.

Ordered all my control arms from RockAuto last night, fun times on the horizon.

sneasle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For future reference, in case anyone finds this thread in a search, these are the parts I ordered:
CK80669, CK80670, CK620955, and CK620956

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660