Pulled the Transmission Pan Today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I dropped the Transmission Pan on the '05 Yukon today and was shocked to find small metal shavings as well as lot of metal sludge on the magnet. This is the transmission that was a "reman" installed about 8k miles ago. Also I expected to have to tug and twist the filter to get it out but it just kinda fell out into my hands as soon as I grabbed it. Now I have just rebuilt and installed my Transfer Case and figured since I drained the Transmission I might as well do the filter and gasket before adding $45 worth of fluid.
Now I've read (on this forum) that seeing metal shavings in a pan is no shocker and they've run fine. So since I can't afford a transmission and have already sold my 1st born I was thinking about just putting it together and seeing how long it lasts. Anyone have any experience with type of thing?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I dropped the Transmission Pan on the '05 Yukon today and was shocked to find small metal shavings as well as lot of metal sludge on the magnet. This is the transmission that was a "reman" installed about 8k miles ago. Also I expected to have to tug and twist the filter to get it out but it just kinda fell out into my hands as soon as I grabbed it. Now I have just rebuilt and installed my Transfer Case and figured since I drained the Transmission I might as well do the filter and gasket before adding $45 worth of fluid.
Now I've read (on this forum) that seeing metal shavings in a pan is no shocker and they've run fine. So since I can't afford a transmission and have already sold my 1st born I was thinking about just putting it together and seeing how long it lasts. Anyone have any experience with type of thing?
Any idea of where the shavings came from? Can you still take a picture and post them? At the very least, I would take a sample of fluid when convenient and send it off to BlackStone Labs for analysis which can probably tell you what kind of metal that was and from that, maybe we can determine where it came from. Hopefully, it's just gears wearing in.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any idea of where the shavings came from? Can you still take a picture and post them? At the very least, I would take a sample of fluid when convenient and send it off to BlackStone Labs for analysis which can probably tell you what kind of metal that was and from that, maybe we can determine where it came from. Hopefully, it's just gears wearing in.
Yeah it ain't pretty. The majority of the oil went into my bulk waste container so anything in there's already contaminated. I did collect some from the pan into a catch pan. These are the biggest chunks. That blob is my magnetic pocket pencil.20210911_130749.jpg20210911_130352.jpg20210911_130719.jpg

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it ain't pretty. The majority of the oil went into my bulk waste container so anything in there's already contaminated. I did collect some from the pan into a catch pan. These are the biggest chunks. That blob is my magnetic pocket pencil.View attachment 350079View attachment 350080View attachment 350078
Yeah, there's a few guys on here intimately familiar with the internals, I'm not one of them. I'm finding it hard to speculate on where those slivers even came from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645