Pulled the Transmission Pan Today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I calmed down a bit and just accepted it all. Went out and took a few more pics for you guys to guess on. My photo skills aren't that great, but I'm learning what my Samsung can do. Note: I did find another of what appears to be cage pieces. And the small rollers look like they fit. But check out the sludge! And it's all magnetic. If you've been following my posts, remember when I was lying underneath and heard "tink, tink, tink, tink, tink", from the front of the transmission and then silence? That's probably when the pieces fell through as it was running.

20210912_102706.jpg
20210912_102747.jpg20210912_103850.jpg20210912_103025.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Do the trans again and maybe get a factory reman unit and go thru the task of installing it but if you do or if you have a trans shop do it, FLUSH EVERYTHING, INCLUDING THE LINES, OUT BEFORE YOU START THE RIG!

To me, it is now personal. You need to fix it all and not let the rig get you down.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the trans again and maybe get a factory reman unit and go thru the task of installing it but if you do or if you have a trans shop do it, FLUSH EVERYTHING, INCLUDING THE LINES, OUT BEFORE YOU START THE RIG!

To me, it is now personal. You need to fix it all and not let the rig get you down.
Yep it's personal alright. Like I said, that guy better hope I never run into him again. Discovered a non oem bolt in the pan, barely held, and the retaining clip for the shift cable was missing! Very shoddy work! But thanks for the heads up on the line flush, I probably would have missed that.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know your situation and what not, but a quality reman should be good. And if a core is not required, get a manual and eventually go though the one in the vehicle now.
For years i did my own, th350s 400s, 700r4, 200-4r, and 60e. Heck c6 and torqueflite transmissions. If you aren't in a hurry, and have the room to spread the thing out on a bench, they arent that bad.
Ive got a spare 60e but it is for the older blocks, so to run it in the silvy or hoe i have to get the spacer and different flexplate. That's the only reason I didnt use it in my daughter's truck, that and working 75-80 hours a week i didnt have time to mess with it.
Quality clutches and bands, with a good rebuild kit and a transgo hd2 kit is all i ever used.
Only issue i ever had was my own fault.
If you have a tune for higher line pressure for faster harder shifts, do not drill the shift holes to the maximum size for faster harder shifts. Unless you remove the tune....things get ugly. Violent ugly. Lol live and learn.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know your situation and what not, but a quality reman should be good. And if a core is not required, get a manual and eventually go though the one in the vehicle now.
For years i did my own, th350s 400s, 700r4, 200-4r, and 60e. Heck c6 and torqueflite transmissions. If you aren't in a hurry, and have the room to spread the thing out on a bench, they arent that bad.
Ive got a spare 60e but it is for the older blocks, so to run it in the silvy or hoe i have to get the spacer and different flexplate. That's the only reason I didnt use it in my daughter's truck, that and working 75-80 hours a week i didnt have time to mess with it.
Quality clutches and bands, with a good rebuild kit and a transgo hd2 kit is all i ever used.
Only issue i ever had was my own fault.
If you have a tune for higher line pressure for faster harder shifts, do not drill the shift holes to the maximum size for faster harder shifts. Unless you remove the tune....things get ugly. Violent ugly. Lol live and learn.
I'm tempted to try to rebuild this one myself. I'd actually like to learn how. But I've read there are lots of special tools needed and some can be pretty expensive. Heck even a good manual can be these days.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm tempted to try to rebuild this one myself. I'd actually like to learn how. But I've read there are lots of special tools needed and some can be pretty expensive. Heck even a good manual can be these days.
I do not recommend "learning" to rebuild your own tranny WITHOUT someone that knows what they are doing. There are simply things that the book does not teach or explain. It is imperative to clean the case especially after all the metal in yours. I suspect you dont have the machine to wash the tranny case in hot water with alkaline solution.

Those metal pieces came from either your sprag clutch or planetary assembly. Those pieces that have angles on them are teeth and they appear to be steel. None of this is normal. I suspect a tooth was chipped because the rebuilder did not inspect for cracks or unusual wear and replace planetary/sprag. Its only going to get worse. Eventually the metal traveling through your tranny will cut a seal and then all bets are off and depends on which seal(s) get cut as to what fails next.

This tranny needs to be torn down, inspected for case cracks and replace all hard parts that have been damaged then standard rebuild kit.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not recommend "learning" to rebuild your own tranny WITHOUT someone that knows what they are doing. There are simply things that the book does not teach or explain. It is imperative to clean the case especially after all the metal in yours. I suspect you dont have the machine to wash the tranny case in hot water with alkaline solution.

Those metal pieces came from either your sprag clutch or planetary assembly. Those pieces that have angles on them are teeth and they appear to be steel. None of this is normal. I suspect a tooth was chipped because the rebuilder did not inspect for cracks or unusual wear and replace planetary/sprag. Its only going to get worse. Eventually the metal traveling through your tranny will cut a seal and then all bets are off and depends on which seal(s) get cut as to what fails next.

This tranny needs to be torn down, inspected for case cracks and replace all hard parts that have been damaged then standard rebuild kit.
Yeah after giving it more thought I don't think I want anything to do with this Transmission. I'm glad I caught it before it grenaded. I'm going to look for remanufactured one from a trustworthy source.

smcnair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you have it like we do around here but there is a transmission shop here that rebuild transmissions and sells them on Facebook for people that want to install themselves. I think a transmission for these trucks runs less than $800. That might be an option.