Parts Life for OEM Front Struts on 2016 Denali with MagnaRide??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keg97

Reaction score
Hmmm- I've found some black drops, several inches in length right inside the passenger side tire. It's not consistent though- only a few times over the past several weeks. I've been watching it- assuming it was a little extra oil coming out after an oil change since it's been pretty black.
This might make sense- it was enough to notice but not enough to be concerned about it- assuming it was engine oil. Perhaps it was the shock leaking though.

OP
OP
WillieFlo

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clear, slightly yellow, or oily and packed with dirt, depending on where you've driven and how long it's been leaking. if you see something that looks wet or like oil and get some on your fingers and rub between your finger and thumb and it feels a bit slick or oily - you're leaking.

Yep, that's exactly what it is and starting from the top seal on the strut.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

RThomasII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So- just took my vehicle in as well... they wanted to replace struts- $2100 .... I found these online- any body try this brand before? It looks to bypass the system- looks like a way to save almost 2grand.

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2015/gmc/yukon_xl/suspension/suspension_conversion_kit.html

Those look a little like the old pair of monroe "coil-over" shocks that I had installed on the rear of my 1980 Camaro Z-28 back in high school in the late 1980's. It was just a shock with a coil spring wrapped around it that was supposed to help with load leveling. I wouldn't think the option above is a good replacement for a modern SUV suspension.

keg97

Reaction score
Just a follow up to this- took it into dealer last week for oil change, rotation, and to address the transmission again. They looked at the front shock (where it was leaking) and told me it was close to seizing. Changed it out and wow- what a difference. We didn't realize how bad it had gotten. My wife drives it daily and said it was like a new truck again. They looked at the other front shock and said it was fine. Surprised they didn't try to switch that one out. Price wasn't bad either- less than 800 parts and labor.

Here is the interesting part- the SA told me part of harsh shifting (1-2, 2-3) was b/c of the poor shock. His hypothesis was that since the front shock wasn't reacting appropriately to the road- it felt like a harsh shift. I will say the shifting is a bit better since the service but still not where it should be.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the interesting part- the SA told me part of harsh shifting (1-2, 2-3) was b/c of the poor shock. His hypothesis was that since the front shock wasn't reacting appropriately to the road- it felt like a harsh shift. I will say the shifting is a bit better since the service but still not where it should be.

Wow. I'm almost not even surprised anymore at some of the things I've heard come out of the mouths of SA's at GM dealerships...

keg97

Reaction score
Wow. I'm almost not even surprised anymore at some of the things I've heard come out of the mouths of SA's at GM dealerships...
Agree. But I have to tell you- both the wife and I were saying this weekend....."maybe it is better". The placebo effect in action!!!

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a follow up to this- took it into dealer last week for oil change, rotation, and to address the transmission again. They looked at the front shock (where it was leaking) and told me it was close to seizing. Changed it out and wow- what a difference. We didn't realize how bad it had gotten. My wife drives it daily and said it was like a new truck again. They looked at the other front shock and said it was fine. Surprised they didn't try to switch that one out. Price wasn't bad either- less than 800 parts and labor.

Thanks for the follow up.

My wifes denali had the exact same issue. Passenger side shock was leaking and completely locked up. Wanna talk about a ****** ride LOL!? I replaced them with fox 2.0 coilovers. When I pulled the stock struts out, the passenger side was a few inches shorter than the drivers side (locked in that position). Drivers side seemed to be fine yet... but it still went in the trash!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645