2012 Denali Front & Rear Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Millennium Falcon - Is there a rack and pinion kit available? You mentioned the mechanic bringing it up on your build (I believe)?

Most of the racks and pinions I've seen have the inner tie rods and bellows pre-installed. The shop that did mine used zip ties to secure the bellows after installing the new inner tie rods. I'm going to have to replace them with metal bands before they break.

I found a new unit at RockAuto that had an excellent warranty. It's an Edelmann 2024 with what is, effectively, a lifetime warranty. RockAuto has them listed for $432 and change. Summit is half again that price, and Autozone is about twice. I don't know anything about them other than what I saw on the page.

I don't want to highjack your thread, but I'd like to hear what others have to say about it and what their recommendations are for future reference.

OP
OP
P

Pointer 21

Reaction score
The saga continues....RA has sent one correct strut mount and one incorrect strut mount PN:25940743 and my mechanic is stating that rack & pinion bellow PN: 15254057 are not fitting as well. I went ahead and ordered from the dealership; however, they may be a day behind......come this far to have hiccups and/or potential crap parts installed.

Pretty sure the mechanic wants me out quick as he has a small shop and isn't yielding much profit off me supplying parts....(the left is from my vehicle the right is the incorrect part)

1652819632084.png

Thoughts? @swathdiver @Millennium Falcon @Doubeleive

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The saga continues....RA has sent one correct strut mount and one incorrect strut mount PN:25940743 and my mechanic is stating that rack & pinion bellow PN: 15254057 are not fitting as well. I went ahead and ordered from the dealership; however, they may be a day behind......come this far to have hiccups and/or potential crap parts installed.

Pretty sure the mechanic wants me out quick as he has a small shop and isn't yielding much profit off me supplying parts....(the left is from my vehicle the right is the incorrect part)

View attachment 370489

Thoughts? @swathdiver @Millennium Falcon @Doubeleive
Only thing about the bellows I can think of is that the box was opened and someone put the wrong ones in there and returned them. Assuming the inner and outer tie rods are correct as well!

OP
OP
P

Pointer 21

Reaction score
Only thing about the bellows I can think of is that the box was opened and someone put the wrong ones in there and returned them. Assuming the inner and outer tie rods are correct as well!
Yeah, I'm not trying to get behind the logic here. My question is more along the lines of the options that were presented to me (nice but urgent):

1.) Get me the right part tomorrow
2.) Get the parts from a local store
3.) Use what you got- I believe that's what he said.

Trying not to sweat the small stuff but man the dealership is proud of those parts and I'm pushing some cash out and they MAY NOT have that part in their hands tomorrow.

Is it just me or does my strut mount look like hell??

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not trying to get behind the logic here. My question is more along the lines of the options that were presented to me (nice but urgent):

1.) Get me the right part tomorrow
2.) Get the parts from a local store
3.) Use what you got- I believe that's what he said.

Trying not to sweat the small stuff but man the dealership is proud of those parts and I'm pushing some cash out and they MAY NOT have that part in their hands tomorrow.

Is it just me or does my strut mount look like hell??
If the old bellows are not torn, reuse them. You can put new ones in later. ACDelco are of lesser quality, I would run my old ones first before switching to those if they were not cracked. The alignment guy could even do it too.

OP
OP
P

Pointer 21

Reaction score
If the old bellows are not torn, reuse them. You can put new ones in later. ACDelco are of lesser quality, I would run my old ones first before switching to those if they were not cracked. The alignment guy could even do it too.

I like it......I'll suppose he'll have to hold his horses until the other strut mount comes in and I'll have to pay dealership cost (only one side) not fatal but better than Oreilly brand....

OP
OP
P

Pointer 21

Reaction score
Update: The suspension work is done (At the shop for almost 2 weeks). Had a few hiccups with parts but was very pleased with the mechanic that I used.

The shop installed the driver side motor mount and said the passenger side looked rough as well (I wanted both done but that didn't happen this visit).

Overall the truck rides pretty well - the dash is cracked to hell, so it's still banging around and there is a SLIGHT noise (either the motor mount or maybe breaks).

Big thanks to everyone who helped me through this - @swathdiver using his cross reference skills and provided me with excellent guidance.

Not to forget @Millennium Falcon and @Joseph Garcia @Doubeleive!!

Now its tires, leveling kit, and addressing the dissembled cat!!

Reaction score
Always remember to lock your doors when not with the vehicle.

There is a big, big problem around here with people walking down a street and checking every door handle on a vehicle as they walk by. It's called "flipping" and they usually do it at night and when they find an unlocked vehicle they'll rummage through it taking anything of value. Not only on vehicles parked in the street, but even up in the driveway. They'll actually walk up into driveways/carports/open garages to check handles.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always remember to lock your doors when not with the vehicle.

There is a big, big problem around here with people walking down a street and checking every door handle on a vehicle as they walk by. It's called "flipping" and they usually do it at night and when they find an unlocked vehicle they'll rummage through it taking anything of value. Not only on vehicles parked in the street, but even up in the driveway. They'll actually walk up into driveways/carports/open garages to check handles.

I hate thieves! My alarm would go off if my wife left the doors unlocked, again, after 30 seconds or so.

Did they get you Tom?

I can't wait to move out into the country.

Reaction score
I hate thieves! My alarm would go off if my wife left the doors unlocked, again, after 30 seconds or so.

Did they get you Tom?

I can't wait to move out into the country.
No, I haven't been hit. I have cameras and motion security lights that come on when someone's in the driveway or backyard.

One evening I was out in my driveway and saw a couple older kids get into a neighbors car that was a couple houses down. I started to walk that way while yelling at them and pulled out my phone and started recording them while they hopped out and scattered like roaches when the light is turned on.

I went to my neighbors door to let them know about it, but she wasn't real concerned. She said it's happened before and that she doesn't keep anything worthwhile in the car anyway. She didn't even come out and look. I was like, well maybe start locking the doors. If everybody did, they'd stop doing it, duh

On my Ring Neighbors app, there are incidents/videos posted just about every day of someone flipping handles/getting into vehicles in my surrounding neighborhoods. Many of the incidents, the owner left the doors unlocked

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Georgia 4Low