2012 Denali Front & Rear Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pointer 21

Reaction score
Good Morning - I'm in pursuit of rebuilding the front suspension (and likely rear) on the following:

2012 GMC Yukon Denali AWD
VIN:1GKS2EEF0CR167640

I've gotten several bids and from what I gather the shops either want to put all new MOOG assembled parts OR another has proposed to replace just the ball joints, struts, and stablizer links to keep me with my oem equipment that doesn't appear to have issues in their opinion.

The vehicle has 157,000 miles on it and I'm thinking I'll order the parts and have all OEM parts installed. It's been a headache figuring out exactly what I need with accurate parts numbers.

I got this from @swathdiver :

1651246964294.png

I'm doing my best to get all the cross references correct as his build wasn't for a Denali.

Is this effort going to make much of a difference or am I overworking myself and should consider an easier route?

Also, any guidance on parts I can feel confident will fit my unit would be much appreciated.

As always thanks for all the support/guidance you gurus provide!!

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did this job in my driveway on our 2007 Yukon XL Denali at around 190K. If you're having a shop do the work then the only advantage I see to replacing the control arms instead of just the ball joints is that you'll get new control arm bushings, which also do wear out. Also, I only replaced the outer tie rod ends instead of the inners as well, as mine were still quite snug. In all, I replaced:

-Upper and lower control arms with ball joints included
-Outer tie rod ends
-Sway bar links and bushings
-Brake pads and rotors
-Had a shop perform an alignment afterwards

I did not replace:
-Springs
-Struts (the previous owner had already replaced the front struts and they looked great)
-Inner tie rods
-Wheel bearings (mine still rolled quietly and had no play)

Since then, I've put about 30K on it and the front end is still tight and the tires are wearing evenly. I used all Moog parts, by the way. They're excellent.

OP
OP
P

Pointer 21

Reaction score
I've been sitting on this for a while....my front end is TRASHED. I hear good things about MOOG but i've also heard really good things about not having pre assembled parts. I guess it comes down to the money. I'm not afraid to spend a little extra to get it perfect, so long as its reasonable. I am however getting exahusted with matching the parts and ensuring I'm on the right path...

EDIT: The steelership provided me with the attached parts info to coordinate with what I had proposed reposted as follows:

1651251350440.png

Any guidance on the correct parts to identify to likely purchase through Rock Auto? Gets a little hairy.
Any and all advice is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

Thanks!

Attachments

•   ABSORBER_FRONT SHOCK & SPRING (REAL-TIME DAMPING Z55, MAGNERIDE Z95).pdf
    220.9 KB · Views: 5
  • (TC07-635)   2007-2013   CK1(06-36)   SUSPENSION_REAR PART 1.pdf
    396 KB · Views: 6
  • (TC07-916)   2009-2013   CK1(06-36)   SUSPENSION CONTROLS_ELECTRONIC (REAL-TIME DAMPING Z55, M...pdf
    579.8 KB · Views: 3
  • (TC07-949)   2008-2013   CK1(06-36)   ABSORBER_FRONT SHOCK & SPRING (REAL-TIME DAMPING Z55, MA...pdf
    220.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been sitting on this for a while....my front end is TRASHED. I hear good things about MOOG but i've also heard really good things about not having pre assembled parts. I guess it comes down to the money. I'm not afraid to spend a little extra to get it perfect, so long as its reasonable. I am however getting exahusted with matching the parts and ensuring I'm on the right path...

EDIT: The steelership provided me with the attached parts info to coordinate with what I had proposed reposted as follows:

View attachment 369263

Any guidance on the correct parts to identify to likely purchase through Rock Auto? Gets a little hairy.
Any and all advice is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

Thanks!

Can you provide me with your 6XX and 7XX codes from your RPO sheet? I'll try to take a crack at this later if my eyes cooperate.

OP
OP
P

Pointer 21

Reaction score
Can you provide me with your 6XX and 7XX codes from your RPO sheet? I'll try to take a crack at this later if my eyes cooperate.
Here's the dash service parts identifier. Is this what you need and/or do you need additional info? Thank you VERY MUCH @swathdiver

Attachments

• DASH PARTS IDENTFICATION.pdf
    357.7 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
P

Pointer 21

Reaction score
Thanks again - These parts sales guys are not helpful! I'm determined to get this right, I'd think I would've caused more damage by driving it like this but then again I haven't been driving a lot, so maybe not.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1651264410999.png

Ok, this is what I've come up with. All parts were first checked over at ACDelco's website using your VIN and RPO Shock Codes, Then I triple checked with GMPartsGiant, GMPartsDirect and the supplied PDFs, again using your VIN only.

For the rear springs, the combination numbers listed are for ACDelco. GM OE is 25783732 and probably discontinued.

Where conflicts exist, I'm inclined to defer with ACDelco's website but you have to decide for yourself on that.

Are your upper controls cast iron or stamped steel? If stamped, then a different part number will be required.

OP
OP
P

Pointer 21

Reaction score
@swathdiver - Apologies on the late reply. This vehicle was broken into over the weekend and....they got me good (possessions but no damage to the vehicle).

THANK YOU very much for putting this together. I did a similar search and came up with variables that were slightly inconclusive (discontinued parts and not much help from the parts guys at the local dealership). It appears that rock auto (assuming I entered 75% of the right part numbers is MUCH cheaper than the AC delco/GM parts giant/etc).

I'll be ordering soon and hoping I don't mess it up.

Also, I believe my uppers are forged? It's an AWD and a magnet will stick to them......

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@swathdiver - Apologies on the late reply. This vehicle was broken into over the weekend and....they got me good (possessions but no damage to the vehicle).

THANK YOU very much for putting this together. I did a similar search and came up with variables that were slightly inconclusive (discontinued parts and not much help from the parts guys at the local dealership). It appears that rock auto (assuming I entered 75% of the right part numbers is MUCH cheaper than the AC delco/GM parts giant/etc).

I'll be ordering soon and hoping I don't mess it up.

Also, I believe my uppers are forged? It's an AWD and a magnet will stick to them......
You're welcome and sorry to hear about the truck being broken into.

While I have purchased from GMPartsDirect and GMPartsGiant, their shipping costs usually price them out of the game but they are a great resource for looking up parts.

It is my own intention to defer to RockAuto over Amazon, the latter does not give out cool car magnets! Scrutinize your orders, RA has left out parts from larger orders before but they are good about making things right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy