Parts Life for OEM Front Struts on 2016 Denali with MagnaRide??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles have you all been experiencing before you've needed to replace the OEM front struts on
your Yukon Denali's with the MagnaRide suspension? We've had our Denali since February 2016 and it has 48,000 miles on it, and just saw one is leaking plenty of fluid from the top seal....:mad:

Shop is quoting me almost $900 to replace with aftermarket equivalent parts, not even OEM. Anyone else had theirs don recently to tell if that's a reasonable price with labor included?

Thanks for any assistance.
William

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No but I am following this thread. My wifes ‘16 just hit 78k miles and it is starting to ride like complete shit, which I believe to be from the front.

I thought rock auto had the oem units for under $400 a piece.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WillieFlo

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I would rather buy aftermarket from Bilstein or a reputable shock company instead of buying OEM. I’ve seen Monroe preassembled struts for a little over $200, and also KYB replacement struts for $200 that work with the Denali ride system.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I would rather buy aftermarket from Bilstein or a reputable shock company instead of buying OEM. I’ve seen Monroe preassembled struts for a little over $200, and also KYB replacement struts for $200 that work with the Denali ride system.

I was not aware of these... I will check them out. But they do work with the magraride system?

Thanks!

the blur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The electronic shocks are very expensive. My truck is riding like a harsh dump truck now.

gsd1019

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
68,000 miles 15’ LTZ had both magnaride struts replaced under extended portfolio warranty
$1950 job cost me $100 deductible

Oh Kee Pah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plague of MRC!
I have been working on getting my "full post" together regarding the work I've done to my 2015 Tahoe LTZ (with Magneride and Max Towing package). New Nitto tires just went on last week.
I worked with a company called X-ineering, based in FL, to help "delete" my MRC. Max there develops track cars, Corvettes in particular, but he created the GM Shock Sim for the magneride system. http://www.xineering.com/shocksims.html

I have about 2,750 miles so far with the GM Shock System in place. Basically, Max has developed electronic circuits that "tell" the on-board computer that the MRC is working and functioning properly. When, in fact, you have disabled the MRC system completely!!!

I am running the Fox 2.0 Front Coil-over full assembly (set at +1-5/8" ride height; arrives set at +2") https://www.ridefox.com/product.php...evrolet&model=Tahoe+&year=2015&position=Front
AND
Bilstein B8 5100 series rear shocks (shocks for 0-1" lift; I have the rear on a 1" coil spacer). https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/product/bilstein-b8-5100/

Since I do get off the beaten path once in a while and the idea of this entire Tahoe project was to make the truck more capable off-road, I purchased new rear coil springs (z71 version) and installed those when the rear shocks and spacer went on. Did you know there are 5 different rear coil springs for the Tahoe? The pair cost me $95 on eBay.

THE RIDE IS AMAZING! The rear end of my Tahoe used to slam hard and just the smallest of bumps and holes in the road and the beast would ride like I was driving through craters.
Now I am able to be aggressive with bumps and not worry about passengers complaining in the rear. You can feel the improved balance and control with the Fox shocks up front and they just eat up bumps like nothing I had before. FYI - running 275/60r20's now. Gained just over 1" on overall tire diameter and a sidewall increase of just over 1/2". Between the new tire size and the adjustable leveling Fox coil-over assemblies, the front fender now measures 3.5" higher than original and with the 1" spacer in the rear has a very level stance with just a slight rake forward still. -Picture is after the suspension but before my new tires...I SAY GO FOR THE MAGNERIDE DELETE! Well worth it in the long-run I think compared to replacing the MRC. ALSO - my front MRC struts were leaking at 36k miles when I purchased the 2015 LTZ certified Pre-Owned. They replaced the front struts after I called them on the leak. That story is a whole other animal though...SAFE RIDING!
IMG_4451.JPG

keg97

Reaction score
How do you know the fluid is leaking? What color is it?

YukonXLMan

Reaction score
Clear, slightly yellow, or oily and packed with dirt, depending on where you've driven and how long it's been leaking. if you see something that looks wet or like oil and get some on your fingers and rub between your finger and thumb and it feels a bit slick or oily - you're leaking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71