Part number for '03 Denali stepper motor??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I can't seem to find a part number for the stepper motors in the instrument cluster. I'm trying to find one locally to send along with my cluster to Scottyboy for some work but nobody here has ever heard of them and it's hard to find parts without some kind of cross-reference number. Anyone know what it is by chance?

Nevermind, I found it. There's 3 numbers for essentially the same part, but two have been discontinued, I think. Anyway, I got it figured out. Still no local shops that have it, so it looks like I'll have to order it.

Part number is X25.168 for anyone doing a future search.

Last edited:

03Dnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the Stepper motor? My Gas gauge hasn't been reading right ever since I got my fuel pump replaced. Sometimes my gas light comes on, needle goes to E, and my truck dings at me like I'm out of gas. Think this is a coincidence or that something is messed up with the gas gauge in the cluster?

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
That sounds pretty much exactly like what my oil pressure gauge is doing. I just had a new sending unit installed, so I know it's not that. The gauge just wigs out randomly. Took it in and they tested the pressure and it was fine, so for me anyway it appears that it is just the gauge that's the issue.

These stepper motors are cheap....like $5-6 on Amazon....and seem relatively easy to replace. I'm having the LED upgrade done on the cluster, so I'm going to have mine done for me, but there are some very good write-ups and youtube how-tos on this. It's probably worth the effort to replace the stepper motor for way cheap and try to solve your own problem. The dealers will not just sell the motor, they sell the entire cluster for several hundred dollars, and that's just not necessary.

Oh, and what it is is simply the little tiny motor that moves the needle on the gauge. There was some sort of defect in the originals but they won't cover it if you have over 70,000 miles, which seems like BS to me. I'm getting all of my motors done because if they are originals they are all susceptible to failure.

Last edited:

03Dnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome man! Thanks, I'm going to have to try this out if it doesn't turn out to be my fuel pump that was replace for some reason.

03Dnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, got another fuel pump put into today and my gas gauge is still on E with the light on. Time for a stepper motor off ebay and some soldering.

scottg918514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the gauges use the same stepper motors. I add tranny temp to my '03 Tahoe a while back. I got 6 on eBay for $24. Good thing, since I broke a few when I removed the needles. Search eBay for year/model instrument cluster stepper motors, they are real cheap.

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I got a set of 7, enough for all the Denali instruments, for roughly $22 on Amazon. Was about $30 total with expedited shipping. Not bad at all.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are pretty easy to replace, if you have good soldering skills. I plan on doing a write up when I repair Scott's cluster.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the Stepper motor? My Gas gauge hasn't been reading right ever since I got my fuel pump replaced. Sometimes my gas light comes on, needle goes to E, and my truck dings at me like I'm out of gas. Think this is a coincidence or that something is messed up with the gas gauge in the cluster?

That is NOT a stepper motor failure. The stepper motor failing only causes the needle not to move correctly, the low fuel light should still come on normally only when you're low on gas. You've got a problem with your fuel level sender in the tank.

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
That is NOT a stepper motor failure. The stepper motor failing only causes the needle not to move correctly, the low fuel light should still come on normally only when you're low on gas. You've got a problem with your fuel level sender in the tank.

Mine chimed at me that I had low oil pressure only when the gauge said I did. I could watch the gauge go up and down. And while simultaneously hooked up to a computer monitoring the actual oil pressure, which was fine. But, the fuel gauge could be different, just saying that isn't the case with oil pressure. The chime seemed only correlated to what the gauge read, even though the gauge was completely wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10

Latest posts