P0430 again and again and again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2007 Tahoe PPV 5.3 w/250k miles

Here it is, the infamous P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 2

I know I know, it's been posted a million times before. Mine pops up and clears itself quite often. I'll get it read and have them clear it and he says after 30 miles it will op up again. But then it clears itself. Just looking to resolve it once and for all.

I have read so much in regard to getting this resolved but am not sure where I should start. Between the coolant to sensors I'm kinda lost.
Who would've thought the coolant could have something to do with Catalyst system?

Oh and it runs and drives fine, no issues at all.

Thoughts opinions suggestions?
All info is much appreciated
Thanks

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If the cooling system runs too hot or too cold, it effects the engine temp info to the PCM and that effects the air fuel mixtures while running. The age of tune components will effect, faulty O2 sensors effect this, failing catalytic converters can effect this, exhaust leaks can effect, misfires can effect, wrong fuel can effect....etc.

Does not sound like anything at all has been done except read and clear code and drive it.

By the way, you likely have problems, but just don't feel it YET. Needs these systems diagnosed and not ignored.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate your post and info.
That is why I am posting, trying to beat it before it beats me.

How would I go about finding the problems? Bring it to a dealer/mechanic to hook it up and pinpoint the issue?
If that's possible.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hopefully by now, if you are not experienced enough to do it yourself, you have a qualified shop you can trust. Some of what I said can be shared by you. How old are the plugs and wires? Original O2 sensors? Engine temp not in line with what it should be? Engine temp gauge showing correct temp reading? Catalytic converters back pressure tests are good? Using the right fuel and a good quality brand? Any exhaust leaks?

A qualified tech will print out the step by step diagnostics and go at it and not skip any steps. If all checks out with a detailed readouts and printouts, to back up the findings, then you go a little deeper and go after all those pesky grounds that could be causing problems in these circuit(s).

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Send a leaf blower or reversed shop vac up the tailpipe and start spraying soapy water at every exhaust joint. Any tiny leak will blow bubbles, if it has a leak by the cat or 02 sensors, can easily cause this code

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully by now, if you are not experienced enough to do it yourself, you have a qualified shop you can trust. Some of what I said can be shared by you. How old are the plugs and wires? Original O2 sensors? Engine temp not in line with what it should be? Engine temp gauge showing correct temp reading? Catalytic converters back pressure tests are good? Using the right fuel and a good quality brand? Any exhaust leaks?

A qualified tech will print out the step by step diagnostics and go at it and not skip any steps. If all checks out with a detailed readouts and printouts, to back up the findings, then you go a little deeper and go after all those pesky grounds that could be causing problems in these circuit(s).

I am experienced to a certain extent but am not in any way with a scanner or tuner. Thankfully, I do have a mechanic I can trust.
Plugs n wires were replaced two weeks ago.
O2 sensors have at least 100k miles and are more than likely original.
Engine temp, good question. I will have to research that.
I have used the same fuel for the past 5.5 years and haven't noticed any difference. I will throw some super in it next fill up though.
I'll check tomorrow for exhaust leaks. I'll give what treehan suggested with the blower to check for leaks.

Send a leaf blower or reversed shop vac up the tailpipe and start spraying soapy water at every exhaust joint. Any tiny leak will blow bubbles, if it has a leak by the cat or 02 sensors, can easily cause this code

Thanks man, appreciate the info/help. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow and post back the results.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If I was you, I would do all oxygen sensors and do the research on the engine temp and check for exhaust leaks. If the sensors are original, they are way past their maintenance replacement time. That's right, sensors maintenance. Then see what happens after and save the diag money.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I was you, I would do all oxygen sensors and do the research on the engine temp and check for exhaust leaks. If the sensors are original, they are way past their maintenance replacement time. That's right, sensors maintenance. Then see what happens after and save the diag money.
Thank You OR, I appreciate your time and info.
I will be doing the sensors and exhaust leak tomorrow and researching engine temp stuff and hopefully figuring it out tomorrow as well.
Thanks again

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Before you do the sensors, make sure your spray the threads down and let sit for a while. Plus, for chriminy sakes, use Genuine GM sensors, AC Delco or Delphi. The rest are very suspect. Even Bosch if I was in a pinch. But never ever ever Dorman.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you do the sensors, make sure your spray the threads down and let sit for a while. Plus, for chriminy sakes, use Genuine GM sensors, AC Delco or Delphi. The rest are very suspect. Even Bosch if I was in a pinch. But never ever ever Dorman.

Will do
I will only buy Genuine, AC or Delphi. Too many issues in the past with other junk.
Appreciate the heads up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tim j