OTA Update GM N22-238206 HVAC Quirk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you go into more details on the cooled seat fan? Mine gets louder when I let off the gas or press the brake. I noticed that the alternator voltage jumps up at the same time (from 12v to 14-15v), so I guess the fan speed fluctuates with the voltage. But I wonder why the voltage jumps around so much.
My cooled seat fans are not noisy at all...the A/C blower definitely drowns them out, and I really never hear them when driving.

My point on the fan behavior was that I have the setting of "Auto Cooled Seats" enabled in the vehicle settings. Before the update, if the A/C blower came on high, the seats also came on at high setting; as the vehicle cools off, they would slow down. This behavior seems to also be affected by the HVAC quirk...the gradual slowdown of the speed on them does not seem to work...but again; I have to pay a bit more attention to this.

martinajm

Reaction score
Not just you. I think that it is related to this issue:

Following up on this... I left mine with the dealer for 2+ days. Complaints were Google Speech error message popping up, HVAC fan slowing, and radio cutting out a couple of times within the first several minutes of a drive.

The tech notes were: "Radio Software Update Y167 Available to correct Concerns Bulletin 23-NA-034" "Update Radio Software to Y167 Multiple Updates" "Reprogrammed Radio with Latest Software".

After 1 drive (dealership to my office - about 10 minutes) I did not get the google speech error, the radio DID cut off (but only once) and the fan DID slow down when it shouldn't have. I also have the added feature of a "Service Driver Assist" error message now and a pretty significant gash in the sidewall of a time.

I will likely go over the 36k miles this weekend, so while I have everything documented with the dealer, I am sure being out of warranty will slow things down from here.

Last edited:

Wubears71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m glad I randomly found this - I have the AC issue since picking up my ultimate last Friday.

mikepankau

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same issue but have determined a quicker fix. If you press the voice assistant button to trigger Google/Siri and then immediately cancel it, everything goes back to normal. Sometimes I have to do it twice if I don't wait long enough, but the audio system thinks the microphone is in use and slows the blowers for background noise. @martinnajm - Glad to hear there might be an OTA update coming that resolves it!

martinajm

Reaction score
Following up on this... I left mine with the dealer for 2+ days. Complaints were Google Speech error message popping up, HVAC fan slowing, and radio cutting out a couple of times within the first several minutes of a drive.

The tech notes were: "Radio Software Update Y167 Available to correct Concerns Bulletin 23-NA-034" "Update Radio Software to Y167 Multiple Updates" "Reprogrammed Radio with Latest Software".

After 1 drive (dealership to my office - about 10 minutes) I did not get the google speech error, the radio DID cut off (but only once) and the fan DID slow down when it shouldn't have. I also have the added feature of a "Service Driver Assist" error message now and a pretty significant gash in the sidewall of a time.

I will likely go over the 36k miles this weekend, so while I have everything documented with the dealer, I am sure being out of warranty will slow things down from here.
Took it back in yesterday and they now find a bunch of codes stored. I didn't get a copy of them, but all connection issues with the radio. will leave it with them next week to try to address.
I have the same issue but have determined a quicker fix. If you press the voice assistant button to trigger Google/Siri and then immediately cancel it, everything goes back to normal. Sometimes I have to do it twice if I don't wait long enough, but the audio system thinks the microphone is in use and slows the blowers for background noise. @martinnajm - Glad to hear there might be an OTA update coming that resolves it!

This kind of works for me. The fan speeds up, but them I get a voice telling me that I need a vehicle connection to do that and the fan slows back down.

navyseal334

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never could get comfortable with the approach some take of never accepting OTA if everything is already working; what if you miss some neat new feature??

With something as basic as AC now breaking during the hot summer months, I am now a convert to the notion of getting a stable (as stable as possible) version and never changing again.

Does anyone remember if any features have even been released via OTA update or is it all just bug fixes?

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it the AC is "breaking" - it just changes the fan speed to low when on auto mode and you first start the vehicle. Rotate the fan knob and you can set it wherever you want it and it stays there.

Don't expect new "features" to come from these OTA updates. Generally they are bug fixes. I've installed five OTA updates and haven't noticed any new features. Sometimes the notice comes with a detailed change log and other times it just says "a variety of software improvements."

509Yukon

Reaction score
I wouldn't call it the AC is "breaking" - it just changes the fan speed to low when on auto mode and you first start the vehicle. Rotate the fan knob and you can set it wherever you want it and it stays there.

Don't expect new "features" to come from these OTA updates. Generally they are bug fixes. I've installed five OTA updates and haven't noticed any new features. Sometimes the notice comes with a detailed change log and other times it just says "a variety of software improvements."
This bug has not only "broken" the HVAC system but it has detrimentally affected the use and merchantability of the vehicle.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never could get comfortable with the approach some take of never accepting OTA if everything is already working; what if you miss some neat new feature??

With something as basic as AC now breaking during the hot summer months, I am now a convert to the notion of getting a stable (as stable as possible) version and never changing again.

Does anyone remember if any features have even been released via OTA update or is it all just bug fixes?
Yes, the latest update brought Amazon Alexa, Native Waze, and a host of fixes....but, yes, also brought us the fan stuck in low for voice mode...This is the life with firmware/software these days...proceed at your own risk.

Reels

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard if there is a fix/update for this yet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar