OTA Update GM N22-238206 HVAC Quirk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jthoske

Reaction score
I wouldn't call it the AC is "breaking" - it just changes the fan speed to low when on auto mode and you first start the vehicle. Rotate the fan knob and you can set it wherever you want it and it stays there.

Don't expect new "features" to come from these OTA updates. Generally they are bug fixes. I've installed five OTA updates and haven't noticed any new features. Sometimes the notice comes with a detailed change log and other times it just says "a variety of software improvements."
Mine does this, and it drives me nuts. Every other car I’ve owned with automatic climate control, you set it on Auto and the temp you want, and it should match the blower sled automatically to the cooling or heating demand.

It’s a little thing but when I crank it to Cool in hot car I want it blowing cold air!!

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just turn off auto and set fan to high? It works just fine that way. Its easier for me to set fan speed and temp than to let the vehicle decide for me as most times it sets fan speed too fast or slow for my liking. Esp if im talking in car it wants to runn full blast and makes conversation more difficult. But whem i set it i can put it exactly where i want it.

E_S_D

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just turn off auto and set fan to high? It works just fine that way. Its easier for me to set fan speed and temp than to let the vehicle decide for me as most times it sets fan speed too fast or slow for my liking. Esp if im talking in car it wants to runn full blast and makes conversation more difficult. But whem i set it i can put it exactly where i want it.
Unfortunately, being on auto is not what does it, I have the same issue and I do not use the auto temp feature. Every time I start the vehicle the fan speed reduces and audio cuts out three times. The only current fix is to manually increase the fan speed again after it reduces.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, agree…GM has told the dealers it’s a known bug…now we wait for the software release process…

509Yukon

Reaction score
Picked up my Yukon from the dealer yesterday and yet again they claimed another dose of software update per GM had fixed the HVAC fan speed issue and the instrument cluster going out. Today after starting it the HVAC fan speed dropped again along with the occasional Google Speech error message. I took a photo of the error message and sent it to the advisor.

He called me 15 minutes later and said a GM service rep was at the store and he just showed him the picture and described what they have been struggling with. This GM rep said the fan speed problem is possibly tied to an issue with the talk button on the steering wheel sending an erroneous signal and told them to get it in to check out that button.

Of course I then pushed the button a number of times triggering Google on the media screen and it came up fine, lowered the fan speed, and also returned the fan speed to normal after timing out each and every time. I can't imagine the button is the problem but a service appointment is set for next week and we will see what they come up with.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up my Yukon from the dealer yesterday and yet again they claimed another dose of software update per GM had fixed the HVAC fan speed issue and the instrument cluster going out. Today after starting it the HVAC fan speed dropped again along with the occasional Google Speech error message. I took a photo of the error message and sent it to the advisor.

He called me 15 minutes later and said a GM service rep was at the store and he just showed him the picture and described what they have been struggling with. This GM rep said the fan speed problem is possibly tied to an issue with the talk button on the steering wheel sending an erroneous signal and told them to get it in to check out that button.

Of course I then pushed the button a number of times triggering Google on the media screen and it came up fine, lowered the fan speed, and also returned the fan speed to normal after timing out each and every time. I can't imagine the button is the problem but a service appointment is set for next week and we will see what they come up with.
Look at the bulletin in post 33 that I shared. As of June 26, GM does not yet have a fix...

509Yukon

Reaction score
Look at the bulletin in post 33 that I shared. As of June 26, GM does not yet have a fix...
I know, I saw it. If they want to keep messing with it and letting me accumulate totals days out of service for lemon law that is their problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dzg9