Ordering a Vehicle? How long?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superbowlhomeboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I placed an order for a Tahoe at a local dealership only to find out a little later that it was going to take several months to arrive, something about the GM plants shutting down around Christmas. I'm not looking for anything special, LT, bench, luxury package so it's hard for me to wrap my head around it taking so long. I've checked the inventory at every dealership in the state, and no one has exactly what I'm looking for without throwing in more useless stuff that drives the price up.

Can anyone tell me more about this process? Why does it take so long? Does it slow down around Christmas? When might dealerships be getting more?

R.Beezy

Costco Member
Reaction score
I couldn't tell you why the orders take so long... But personally, I try not to be too picky and buy what's close to what I want in the area. I don't like ordering and waiting

Ricky1224

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2016 Yukon just arrived. Took just over 12 weeks from order date till delivery. It's worth the wait to have exactly what you want.

Got-Boost?

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try and order from a dealer near the plant. It typically takes 3-4 weeks when you order from Dallas/Houston to get one EXACTLY like you want... ;)

Gerpoli

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ordered my Denali end of April. Dealer told me 6-8 weeks. Ended up taking 10 weeks and they blamed it on Memorial Day and July 4th holidays. I would expect it to be worse now with Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New year's.

OP
OP
S

superbowlhomeboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Dealer ended up selling me a better truck off the lot for the same price.

thunderdawg

Reaction score
We ordered a Tahoe LTZ on 29 Oct 2015. I had a call today from the salesman letting me know that the vehicle has been built and is in the hands of transportation. Apparently the Arlington factory is now closed for Christmas break so we passed that hurdle. No clear input from the salesman about when our Tahoe will be at the dealership. Keep in mind, we live in a small town about 2 hrs north of Phoenix.

undertaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered at two different dealers on 11/16 and 11/18. Dealer 2 called up begining of the week and said well someone ordered a truck with a bench and doesn't want it, if I can get the truck you want are you cool with us swapping the bench in for you? I said absolutely, might have something for the weekend, if not early next week.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Typically you can get a better deal when buying an inventory vehicle vs ordering so IDK why you're worried about it having more options, you can likely get the higher model for the same price or possibly cheaper.

Also options have no affect on the timeline as it takes just as long to build.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeez, the factory is already closed for Christmas? No wonder gm is going to start importing their vehicles built in other parts of the world.

I ordered a Yukon the 3rd week in November and was told 8-12 weeks. Guessing I'll see it in February.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts