Optimal tire pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 4x4 z71 tahoe 2001. Door says inflate tires to 30 psi. However my friend who helped build the trucks for GM said much better to go 40 PSI or a bit more.

What do you guys think? What do you air your tires to?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically I run 38 or so in mine. If I'm towing I'll bump up to 40 for the rears.
I get the impression the door spec is geared for comfort and the ahem ****** tires they com from factory with.

I think I am going to go with the 38.. i have ko2s up front and grabber at2s in back.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you’re after. For better mileage/harder ride go higher. I don’t have stock tires anymore but I run 32-34 in my 305/40/22 but I have a shorter sidewall. The manufacturer goes low bc they don’t warranty tires and want softer ride.:2cents:

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends, for example, my Michelin defenders recommend a maximum of no more than 44 psi. so I've settled for 38 PSI since I find the ride quality is the most comfortable in that setting, at 30psi as recommended by GM I believe don't quote me on that, the ride quality feels too soft for me and I feel that even acceleration suffers a bit and makes the truck handle sluggishly, I do mostly high way and city driving.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 4x4 z71 tahoe 2001. Door says inflate tires to 30 psi. However my friend who helped build the trucks for GM said much better to go 40 PSI or a bit more.

What do you guys think? What do you air your tires to?

If you are running the stock size and type of tire that the sticker refers to, run that air pressure or within a few pounds of it. Too much or too little and you'll adversely wear the tires. Too little and the ride will be nice and soft, there won't be enough air to support the truck's ratings and the bead could be broken during hard turns. Too much and the ride will be harsh and they won't wear right, there will be more tread loss in the center than the outside.

If your truck originally came with P-Metrics of a certain size and you switch to a larger P-Metric tire, you would run even less air pressure. If you switch to an LT Tire of the same size, you need enough air to support the ratings and most start at 50 psi and go from there.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Higher tire pressure will give you better mileage, but will increase your braking distance, especially in inclement weather. It’s always best to find a happy medium.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are running the stock size and type of tire that the sticker refers to, run that air pressure or within a few pounds of it. Too much or too little and you'll adversely wear the tires. Too little and the ride will be nice and soft, there won't be enough air to support the truck's ratings and the bead could be broken during hard turns. Too much and the ride will be harsh and they won't wear right, there will be more tread loss in the center than the outside.

If your truck originally came with P-Metrics of a certain size and you switch to a larger P-Metric tire, you would run even less air pressure. If you switch to an LT Tire of the same size, you need enough air to support the ratings and most start at 50 psi and go from there.
Door says 30 psi... however truck has different rims and tires from stock. It has 265/75r16 LT tires. The factory tired were 17s...

I just noticed KO2s say no more than 40 psi to set bead on side.

My general grabbers dpec as much as 80psi.. so i aired them to 40.

I want to find 2 more general grabbers on sale i have the at2s.. however havent had luck yet.

Having a lot of fun with this truck. Is a rebuild project. Runs fine but slowly restoring it.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should elaborate general grabbers are new set on rear axle. I like a little less pressure up front for braking. Or so is my thinking. I may pump the KO2s to 35 psi. Not sure yet foing some testing on road.