Opinions on Potential Hybrid Mods ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mod Update as of 1/12/11

Interior:

- GM wood center console bezel
- GM center console organizer
- GM Nav Disc 2012
- GM sill plates
- GM step shields
- GM inclination sensor
- GM shock sensor
- GM 2-Way advanced remote
- GM Cargo Security Shade
- GM Roadside assistance package
- GM First aid kit
- Weathertech 1st, 2nd, and trunk floor liners
- Vanity, Dome leds
- RAM iPad cradle

Exterior:

- GM CK375 wheel/tire package
- GM Spare tire addition
- GM Oval running boards
- GM Chrome handles
- GM LTZ door moldings
- GM Escalade rear bumper cover assembly
- GM Escalade mirrors
- Billet 5/8" rear wheel spacers
- Putco rain guards
- Resonator delete and added dual exhaust tips.
- Grillcraft Hybrid upper and lower stainless steel grilles
- Smoked 3rd light
- Tinted tail lights
- Ami All Sales Black front bowtie
- Painted black rear bowtie
- 50% tint on front windows
- K&N air filter
- Led puddle, license plate, reverse, turn signal lights
- Custom headlight quad retrofit with 'flash to pass' highs and switchback led drl/turn signals
- Custom Hybrid rear badging

---------------------------

Ok so I want to do some tinkering with the overall look of my truck. In this vain I am soliciting and will appreciate any input from fellow TYF members.

The HyHoe as she sits now:

suzygg.jpg
(front end is in my sig)

The first thing I am considering is adding subtle chrome elements such as the oem chrome handles and the oem chrome esky/nali roof rack.

The best I could muck up the image to see what it would look like is taking the stock image of a yukon Denali Hybrid and blacking out the chrome running board, side molding, and mirror.

This was the resuld with my scarce image manipulation skillz:

picture.php

It must be said that I also like the look of the yuk's tails but I'm not sure if round lights will go well with the more square lines of the Tahoe.

Also seriously considering the switch to the nali rear bumper. If I did I would swap the rear black bowtie for a chrome one.

Anyhoot, what do you guys think?

Cheers!

Last edited:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're on the right track Soulsea :High 5:

Myself, I'd steer away from the Denali tails only cuz I'm not a big fan of the euro tail look and that's what that is. I'd go with trying to find Esky OEM tails if it was me to tie into your idea of the esky luggage rack. I'd then demold (although, I know you've said you don't want to) and it'd really clean up the look a lot! I'd also go with a subtle 2" rear drop just to level it out and get darker tint where it's currently tinted and also tint the front door windows.... Obviously, I've also mentioned exhaust a few times to you and I'd still do that ;)

Just my 2 cents...

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're on the right track Soulsea :High 5:

Myself, I'd steer away from the Denali tails only cuz I'm not a big fan of the euro tail look and that's what that is. I'd go with trying to find Esky OEM tails if it was me to tie into your idea of the esky luggage rack. I'd then demold (although, I know you've said you don't want to) and it'd really clean up the look a lot! I'd also go with a subtle 2" rear drop just to level it out and get darker tint where it's currently tinted and also tint the front door windows.... Obviously, I've also mentioned exhaust a few times to you and I'd still do that ;)

Just my 2 cents...

Mmm, you know I've seen the esky tails/3rd light combo on a tahoe and I'm not crazy about it. One of the best visual attributes (for my taste) of the Tahoe as opposed to the Nali/Esky is the clean square lines ... the esky tails have this curbed effect that seems out of place on the Tahoe without all the chrome elements on the liftgate. The only reason I was pondering the use of the Nali tails, even though they are more round than square, is that they are the only oem tails I could find that have a dark, almost smoked look to them.

Demolding is still a possibility down the line ... but in order to do that I'd want to remove the Hybrid specific running boards and associated moldings and replace them with a Nali running board. This is actually a serious and rather pricey mod on a HyHoe so it's for down the road.

The 2" rear drop is also being considered but I'd like to see it on someone else's truck first.

Exhaust is a non starter for now ... not only in regards to the negative affects on my warranty, but on a hybrid we're talking $3000 to get that done. I've gone into why on other threads but I'm happy to repeat it if you really need me to. :) Not only that but chances are it will sound really odd going from silent electric drive to the engine kicking in with a loud rumble as I'm driving down the street.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exhaust is a non starter for now ... not only in regards to the negative affects on my warranty, but on a hybrid we're talking $3000 to get that done. I've gone into why on other threads but I'm happy to repeat it if you really need me to. :) Not only that but chances are it will sound really odd going from silent electric drive to the engine kicking in with a loud rumble as I'm driving down the street.

I haven't read what you said in the past somehow but no need to go into it and it's outrageous pricing!! Even just putting a new tip on it and leaving the actual exhaust alone from the tip back would make a large difference. The end of the pipe sticking way down like that has always looked really odd to me :shrug: I think you're right, though, if you put a different muffler on there that was louder it'd sound weird due to the Hybrid functionalities and stuff.

If you debadged why would you feel the need to change running boards and other molding? I think just removing the Hybrid symbols and "Tahoe" (optional) would make a large impact on your overall look. Personally I kind like the running boards and associated body molding you have on there right now :waytogo: :)

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you debadged why would you feel the need to change running boards and other molding? I think just removing the Hybrid symbols and "Tahoe" (optional) would make a large impact on your overall look. Personally I kind like the running boards and associated body molding you have on there right now :waytogo: :)

Well for one on the post I was referring to you said 'demold' not 'debadge.' :) So I was refering to the side moldings in my comment. I keep the little Hybrid badges because it allows me special parking and hov privileges in my and other areas. Without that I'd get ticketed (parking) and pulled over by hov enforcement all the time and would have to show documentation that it is in fact a hybrid.

The running board issue is intertwined with the demolding issue ... as in the HyHoe NEEDS a running board to match the low line of the front air dam which the nali hybrid doesn't have. So if I demolded the side which would give it a clean side look, I would do the complicated switch to the nali running board.

I's complicated ... that's why the demolding consideration is getting kicked down the road. :)

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^Ah, sorry....I should have proofread...I meant debadge...explained :D

~~~>07Burb :chair: <~~~Soulsea

Punisher66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That tail pipe is garbage. Replace with something like this. I love those wheels.

Attachments

• DSC_0430.jpg
    DSC_0430.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The exhaust modification issues with the Hybrids are complicated and expensive to do properly, it is even debatable if they can be done at all ... to indicate how involved it is, even the $88k Escalade Hybrid Platinum comes with the exact same tailpipe as my Tahoe Hybrid, and considering all the other upgrades between those two models the Cadillac folks would have modified the tailpipe/exhaust setup if it could be done without compromise to the hybrid setup.

There is a cheap method (round $500 installed) to convert that tailpipe http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330370129316&viewitem=#ht_500wt_1182 ... a couple of aftermarket companies sell a resonator delete package with a niceish looking tip specifically for the hybrid. BUT, I for one have not seen the long term effects on the 2 mode hybrid drive of having one installed, and given that installing one will negate pretty much every engine aspect of my warranty, I will not be the one to 'test' this set up.

Now, if someone has a product I am unaware of and they think it will work as a replacement to that tail pipe, please link it and I will consider it ... I can assure you that I and most other Hybrid owners hate the way that thing looks, especially if they dished out almost $90k for their Esky, and will forever love and be grateful to whomever presented a valid alternative. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo