No Cruise control with lights on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tajohns34

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Tahoe with the issue where the Cruise Control doesn't work with the lights on. When I got it the cruise control didn't work because my ABS computer was bad. I got that fixed but it still doesn't work I thought because of my LED tail lights. I have LED tail lights, running lights and headlights. I have added 50 watt 6 ohm resistors to, my brake lights, rear running lights, my front DRL lights and all 4 turn signal bulbs. The only thing I didn't add resistors to are my headlights and my LED gauge cluster bulbs. Has anyone ever come across this? Any help is appreciated.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. Does the cruise work with lights off? Do you have any warning lights on?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Tahoe with the issue where the Cruise Control doesn't work with the lights on. When I got it the cruise control didn't work because my ABS computer was bad. I got that fixed but it still doesn't work I thought because of my LED tail lights. I have LED tail lights, running lights and headlights. I have added 50 watt 6 ohm resistors to, my brake lights, rear running lights, my front DRL lights and all 4 turn signal bulbs. The only thing I didn't add resistors to are my headlights and my LED gauge cluster bulbs. Has anyone ever come across this? Any help is appreciated.
the only lights that you should have to worry about with cruise is the brake lights, are you sure the resistors are installed properly?
if you put regular brake light bulbs back in does the cruise work with the lights on?
based on your title, can you confirm the cruise works with lights off?

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That must be a problem with the break lights, because the break light switch, switches of the Tempomat when breaking...

Put back in normal bulbs and check for function.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, put the tail lights back to factory and see what happens.
I don't know a whole lot about these specific vehicles and LEDs. But, I know the older ford's won't engage cruise or even allow converter lockup if switched to LEDs. I like then for headlights if in the right housings...but vehicles that didn't come with them for other lights, not a good swap in my opinion.

OP
OP
T

Tajohns34

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, cruise does work with the lights off. I'm going to dig out my factory tail lights and put them back in. I think I need to get a few replacement bulbs.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s most likely going to fix your issue. Please report back if that works. It’ll help the next guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019