Onebad1983's 2005 Yukon 2WD Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
These 4l60's are a ticking time bomb. It's gonna happen, just a matter of when--usually goes at the worst possible time. You know--hours from home, going on a long road trip. Same thing with the fuel pump--always goes when you fill up the tank. Hopefully you can get a quick cheap replacement. Baby that and start saving up for a decent rebuild. Nothing crazy, just an upgraded sunshell, shift kit, vette servo. Good luck buddy--we've all been there. Once I had to drive 100 miles with my front wheel only having 1 lug and a 1/4 of another stud. It was exciting to say the least.

OP
OP
Onebad1983

Onebad1983

Resident Country Dumbass
Reaction score
These 4l60's are a ticking time bomb. It's gonna happen, just a matter of when--usually goes at the worst possible time. You know--hours from home, going on a long road trip. Same thing with the fuel pump--always goes when you fill up the tank. Hopefully you can get a quick cheap replacement. Baby that and start saving up for a decent rebuild. Nothing crazy, just an upgraded sunshell, shift kit, vette servo. Good luck buddy--we've all been there. Once I had to drive 100 miles with my front wheel only having 1 lug and a 1/4 of another stud. It was exciting to say the least.
Definitely gonna need the luck. And I’ve already told my dad that after this one gets rebuilt I’m driving the shit out of it then I’m 4l80 swapping it

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, getting 200k before the trans needs rebuilt is pretty good. I got 215k on mine in the Burb before it failed on me. I’ll take that all day long. If you treat a 4L60e right they’ll last just fine

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
IMO, getting 200k before the trans needs rebuilt is pretty good. I got 215k on mine in the Burb before it failed on me. I’ll take that all day long. If you treat a 4L60e right they’ll last just fine
Totally agree with you on that. It just seems that's not the usual--more the unusual.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally agree with you on that. It just seems that's not the usual--more the unusual.
I think it all depends on how they are used. If a person tows a lot then they at the least need to add a trans cooler. The 4L60 will not last long if it’s constantly getting hot being asked to tow larger loads. But for someone who doesn’t tow much and/or makes sure things stay cool when they do work they’re fine.
I say all this to say, get it fix with a high quality rebuild and forget about it. If you plan to abuse it then expect it to break again :)

OP
OP
Onebad1983

Onebad1983

Resident Country Dumbass
Reaction score
I think it all depends on how they are used. If a person tows a lot then they at the least need to add a trans cooler. The 4L60 will not last long if it’s constantly getting hot being asked to tow larger loads. But for someone who doesn’t tow much and/or makes sure things stay cool when they do work they’re fine.
I say all this to say, get it fix with a high quality rebuild and forget about it. If you plan to abuse it then expect it to break again :)
Mine came with a trans cooler from the factory because of the max tow package but that doesn’t mean anything. And y’all are right. This transmission didn’t owe anyone anything lasting 243k miles. I have a brand new trans coming from Chevrolet and it should be in Monday. While I have the new trans should I go ahead and do the vette servo and shift kit upgrade or will that void the warranty from chevrolet?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine came with a trans cooler from the factory because of the max tow package but that doesn’t mean anything. And y’all are right. This transmission didn’t owe anyone anything lasting 243k miles. I have a brand new trans coming from Chevrolet and it should be in Monday. While I have the new trans should I go ahead and do the vette servo and shift kit upgrade or will that void the warranty from chevrolet?

Congrats on the new trans. I was in Gulfport yesterday and passed Barry's U-pull-it on I-10 and wondered if you spent your vaca nabbing a salvage trans.

I'm 100% sure any warrantable issues would be denied if they found that it was modified. Although, I've heard that ALL newer and reman'ed GM transmissions get the OEM "Corvette" servo. Again- just something I HEARD.

Since it's known that reducing slippage, etc. in the shifting prolongs trans life, I'd still be inclined to install the servo or at least check to see what's in the new trans (can you get a spec sheet on it?). Might wanna consider the 4th gear hold servo as well if you're gonna have it apart. I'd be a little leery about a shift kit in the valve body on a new trans. Follow GM's break-in procedure to the "T" and just have the sloppiness cleaned up with a proper tune.

OP
OP
Onebad1983

Onebad1983

Resident Country Dumbass
Reaction score
Congrats on the new trans. I was in Gulfport yesterday and passed Barry's U-pull-it on I-10 and wondered if you spent your vaca nabbing a salvage trans.

I'm 100% sure any warrantable issues would be denied if they found that it was modified. Although, I've heard that ALL newer and reman'ed GM transmissions get the OEM "Corvette" servo. Again- just something I HEARD.

Since it's known that reducing slippage, etc. in the shifting prolongs trans life, I'd still be inclined to install the servo or at least check to see what's in the new trans (can you get a spec sheet on it?). Might wanna consider the 4th gear hold servo as well if you're gonna have it apart. I'd be a little leery about a shift kit in the valve body on a new trans. Follow GM's break-in procedure to the "T" and just have the sloppiness cleaned up with a proper tune.
Sorry I just saw this. No I did not get a spec sheet for the new trans. And it didn't even come with instructions for break in. I know for sure at some point in the near future I'm going to get a TruCool 40K trans cooler for it, I just don't know when since I just started college and all of my money is focused on that right now. I also should invest in a rebuilt cluster with a trans temp gauge added in. That would really help. I believe @05Single has a cluster that was built by the same guy I'm looking into buying a built one from. You got yours from gaugewerx on instagram right Dave?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645