Oil ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Just to be clear here. The "0" viscosity has to do with the lubrication capabilities at colder temps and the ability, if needed, for it to flow at lower temps to help lube at start up and warm up. It then changes to the "20" viscosity to lube at higher ambient and engine temps. If in an area that is higher temps then the "30" viscosity is available and that seems to be, especially with synthetics, the norm nowadays. It is very rare for a viscosity of "40" to be called for. Engine builders and designers want that oil to FLOW for better lube and protection.

If I messed any of that up, please correct me. Also, engine oil requirements and certifications are very important and must be met and of course, use a damn good oil filter.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is someone here that runs 0w-20 oil but they do it by choice. If someone else put that in my motor without me asking for it I would not be happy.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick question the dealer I purchased my Tahoe from did a oil change before my purchase. I noticed they put 0W-20 oil in. Do I need to replace it with 5W-30 asap or can I wait until the next oil change?
When you say you "noticed" is that because that is what was on the service ticket or did you see them put the 0W-20 into your vehicle?

I would take it back to the dealer and ask them to change the oil. There is a chance the technician or service manager is so used to dealing with the newer vehicles, which I believe now take 0W-20 and just wrote 0W-20 into the system for the service ticket record, but actually put 5W-30 into the vehicle.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know some have experimented with lighter oils...
but the oil doesn't just lubricate your rotating parts ...
IT'S vital to the VVT systems, DOD systems, etc...
Those systems are specifically designed for a certain weight oil as they are hydraulically actuated.

Lot's of issues when ford started using 5w20 and all the shops were still putting in 5w30...
It F'ed up a lot of cam phasers, etc destroying lots of new motors

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I looked under my neighbors F150 the other day for an oil leak. He has only been to Jiffy Lube and the dealer for oil changes since he bought the truck in 2006. The whole under area was dry except for one place. It actually had oil drip on the drain plug and what looked like to be 3M Weatherstrip Sealant squeezing out under the head of the drain plug. I put a wrench on it and tightened as much as I dared, about 1/8" turn and stopped. I believe the oil pan threads are stretched. I am going to do an oil change this weekend and I have already gotten a new drain plug and seal for it. He had every invoice for everything thing that has been done and it only mentions the "oil leak" 2 times on the Jiffy Lube tickets but none on the dealer tickets. He has been seeing the oil for the last 3 years, drops on the ground and adding as needed. Someone saw it and should have brought to his attention but is trying to hide with the "Gorilla Snot" around the drain plug. Two pics. A before and after I wiped dry and tightened and you can still see the oil seep at the lower area and soon to be a drop. I told him the same thing. I don't trust anyone but myself for any fluids when buying and always change them all to get a base to start from.

View attachment 383277

View attachment 383278

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question the dealer I purchased my Tahoe from did a oil change before my purchase. I noticed they put 0W-20 oil in. Do I need to replace it with 5W-30 asap or can I wait until the next oil change?
Yes, the sewing machine oil (0W-20) will probably give you 0.01 MPG better. You've probably disabled it, but you can add another 0.001 MPG for engine Stop - Start. This is being pushed by the EPA. For longer engine life many believe 5 or 10W - 30 is better. The problem is, many dealers simply will not do it. I've had trouble (perhaps a run of bad luck) of using oil change places on my vehicles. Growing up in Detroit, I was brainwashed to change my oil at 500 miles on a new vehicle, and then every 3000 miles after that.

01dailey

Reaction score
I won't EVER go to a quick lube......I'll change it in the walmart parking lot if I absolutely have to! Anything goes there.....
The last time I went to a quick lube they underfilled it. I checked the oil level when I got home and it was 2 quarts low. The oil didn't even reach the dip stick. In a prior incident following an oil change, the oil filter came loose and I had a massive oil leak. These quick lube places can't be trusted. They hire cheap low skilled labor and rely on insurance to cover their mishaps. The dealer is the only one I allow to touch my vehicle.

rbromm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Quick question the dealer I purchased my Tahoe from did an oil change before my purchase. I noticed they put 0W-20 oil in. Do I need to replace it with 5W-30 asap or can I wait until the next oil change?
What is the problem with 0W-20? I run Amsoil 5W-20 and no issues with mine. 65,000 miles and not burning or using oil. I did add a catch can and get about 1/2 pint in it every 5,000 miles. Thinner oil flows better and this engine is clearanced to run fine on 0-20.

HughW

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottishJeff

Latest posts