Oil was overfilled a notch above crosshatch, OK?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Salty_Dawg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oil Level above crosshatch: The 2014 Tahoe manual is crystal clear, let engine sit off for a few minutes before checking the oil level, and further says Notice: Do not add too much oil... keep within crosshatch area or damage may occur, etc.. Page 10-7)

Just had my oil changed, and checked level after it sat. The oil-level is about a notch above the crosshatch, almost to the curving part of the dip stick (pic1). Crank engine up, turn it back off, check oil again, and level is right on the top 4th notch (pic2), within the crosshatch area barely. So is not too overfilled, and mechanic who changed it said he filled it this level on purpose. He slightly overfills his own cars too, he said.
I see so many replies that say read/follow the manual! But the mechanic who I trust (at a Goodyear Service Center, who has taken care of oil changes in my prior, 99 Tahoe for 10 years without issue) says it is OK if the Oil level is just a notch above the cross hatch when it’s cold. We looked at it together.
Same happened last time he changed my oil, (first time he changed oil on this 2014 I recently purchased). That time I drove it over to my main mechanic for his thoughts. He owns the shop and has a 2013 Suburban with same 5.3L himself. And he agreed, said it is A-OK to fill oil a notch over crosshatch when it’s warm. Said I am obsessing.. I am because I don’t want to pay for any repairs of blown gaskets or whatever damage happens as my manual warns.
I have looked around a lot and have not found much discussion about this anywhere, except manual. Do I trust my 2 mechanics who say it is OK overfill oil the notch, or do I follow the manual and ask him to remove a notch worth?
Am I obsessing for nothing?

20211219_102345.jpg20211219_111809.jpg

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I’d say its well within tolerance, not enough to raise the level above the point where the crank will start dipping into it and tossing oil.

That said, the mechanic is either stupid, or lying to cover up his laziness and imprecision. What possible benefit comes from a fractional overfill? Does he believe he knows better than the engine designers? BS like this is why I do my own.

Most likely he left his finger on the trigger of the bulk dispenser a little too long and just did not want to correct it. And bulk oil… not a fan.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's maybe 1/4 of a quart overfilled. It's perfectly fine. Many people, particularly racers, run a full quart over at all times. The LS has a windage tray, so cavitation really won't/can't be a problem. The oil level at 6 quarts isn't so close that 1/4 quart more is gonna fill it to the counterweights on the crank.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil Level above crosshatch: The 2014 Tahoe manual is crystal clear, let engine sit off for a few minutes before checking the oil level, and further says Notice: Do not add too much oil... keep within crosshatch area or damage may occur, etc.. Page 10-7)
Just had my oil changed, and checked level after it sat. The oil-level is about a notch above the crosshatch, almost to the curving part of the dip stick (pic1). Crank engine up, turn it back off, check oil again, and level is right on the top 4th notch (pic2), within the crosshatch area barely. So is not too overfilled, and mechanic who changed it said he filled it this level on purpose. He slightly overfills his own cars too, he said.
I see so many replies that say read/follow the manual! But the mechanic who I trust (at a Goodyear Service Center, who has taken care of oil changes in my prior, 99 Tahoe for 10 years without issue) says it is OK if the Oil level is just a notch above the cross hatch when it’s cold. We looked at it together.
Same happened last time he changed my oil, (first time he changed oil on this 2014 I recently purchased). That time I drove it over to my main mechanic for his thoughts. He owns the shop and has a 2013 Suburban with same 5.3L himself. And he agreed, said it is A-OK to fill oil a notch over crosshatch when it’s warm. Said I am obsessing.. I am because I don’t want to pay for any repairs of blown gaskets or whatever damage happens as my manual warns.
I have looked around a lot and have not found much discussion about this anywhere, except manual. Do I trust my 2 mechanics who say it is OK overfill oil the notch, or do I follow the manual and ask him to remove a notch worth?
Am I obsessing for nothing?

View attachment 358357View attachment 358358
You're fine. If you run around above 3500 rpms for a while the motor will burn the excess off!

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
I am not all that convinced a dipstick is manufactured with enough precision that it would matter anyway... lol Mine is sometime a little over when I change it too. I am sure it is "close enough" to not be a problem.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dipstick looks just like that! I check the oil fairly frequently. Last week was the most recent check. Was down a little. Maybe a quart. I jacked the front end a couple of inches off the ground to replace a sway bar link and brake hose. After I dropped it back down and started, I got Check Oil Level in the information panel. Pulled dipstick and almost freaked! There was nothing on the stick. Sounded OK and pressure was good, so I drove myself down to Advance Auto for some oil. Checked the stick and it was still at the bottom. If it was that low, I decided to put in one quart. Level came up a little, so I added a second quart. Checked the stick after the second quarts and WHOA! It was almost another dot's worth above the hash marks!! Started it up and checked it running. The level running was just at the top of the hash marks. Engine sounded great. Pressure was good. Wasn't feeling or acting weird. I figured... Probably fine. Nothing to worry about. I'll probably leave it as-is.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's a good idea to let the truck sit on level ground for a period of time, say 30 or more minutes, before checking the oil, allowing the oil that's in the upper part of the engine to drain down into the pan. I check mine in the garage before a cold start.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a good idea to let the truck sit on level ground for a period of time, say 30 or more minutes, before checking the oil, allowing the oil that's in the upper part of the engine to drain down into the pan. I check mine in the garage before a cold start.
Yeah. I normally check in the morning, before starting. After getting the message in the panel, I panicked when the stick had nothing on it at all. I could have seen showing low on the stick after being tilted (just a little), but it was bone dry! Sometimes clear thinking and calm goes out the window in panic mode...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts